Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 1980 kz550 i just recently ripped the carbs apart cleaned them and rebuilt them (take note the bike would not start before i did this) when i put the carbs back in the bike fired up with much hesitation but runs......my problem is that the 3rd carb from the left is not getting any fuel what so ever in the bowl the bike is only running on 3 cylinders obviously. has anyone ever delt with this because from researching ive never seen this problem?

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,843 Posts
As Cucco said, if there is no fuel in the float bowl, the most likely cause is the float or float valve is stuck. You can try using the handle of a screwdriver to tap on the bowl but I wouldn't recommend using a hammer. That could damage the carb. You did loosen the float bowl drain screw and make sure there was no fuel in the bowl? If tapping on the bowl doesn't resolve the problem you will have to remove the carbs and open that one up to see what the problem is.

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
As mentioned above, the float is a good place to start. If you accidentally bent it during cleaning it could prevent the flow of gas into the bowl. Also double check that the jets are clean. Are you sure that the cylinder is just not firing? This could be due to low compression or no spark... I don't know too much but sometimes its the person that asks "is it plugged in?" that solves the problem... :p Good luck dude!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i have pulled the carbs apart again because there is spark when i pulled the carbs apart and removed the bowl from #3 there was no fuel in it i did have no fuel in it so i checked the float it did seem to get stuck a bit so i bent it a little bit and now it moves freely i checked to make sure the galleries were flowing by blowing air through and they all work the same so maybe now i am getting fuel but this one cylinder is still no firing maybe fuel is not getting from the bowl to the venturi (no fuel to the cylinder) but my main jet is brand new the clip on the needle is the same as the rest just checked them all im running out of ideas. am i missing something i could check?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lets say the carb is getting fuel in the bowl now jets and galleries are flowing freely.....would it be possible that lack of compression could be reason enough for that cylinder not to fire? i understand compression but on a bike is very sensitive? (as in it doesnt take much compression loss)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.