Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
See the photos. This is the ready-to-go lump of an engine to be installed in the frame Spring 2010. Got to find a strong young man to bring it up from the basement. Then I've got to build the bike back up around it. Target ride and ready date is July 2010. We will see...............

Attachments

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
For paint, the cam cover, head, cylinders, and crankcases are Duplicolor Engine enamel. I used this on another bike with good results, so I'll keep my fingers crossed. For the generator and ignition covers, it is just polyurethane enamel. Crossed fingers again.

I'm too old to lift like I used to, but preparing to carry and engine involved good shoes tightly laced, the right gloves, a clear planned pathway and a few resting points where you might need them. Maybe a weight lifter from the local Y will help me.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Kawpaul:

What's a dolly? Is it just like a pallet on wheels? Or is it one of the L-shaped things on wheels that you load thing on the foot? Need to maneuver a complex staircase. A "dolly" of types has already solved some of my problems.

·
itching to ride
2,233 Posts
Yes, what Mike said.
I have used them a lot when moving. Saves the back and you can do stairs with them easier than toting that engine by hand. But if you are going up or down stairs then I suggest you strap the engine on. It would not be a bad idea to do so anyway. Going up the steps it helps if you back up and pull it and also have someone below walking with it just in case.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hand truck. I think my neighbor has one, but the foot on it might be pretty small. There is a big one at work, but that Coupe I have is not generous wih trunk space. That's a good reminder to strap the engine on, and have the assistant below. There are not a lot of natural grab points on the engine. Thanks guys.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
Hand trucks are life savers. They make one that has belts mounted on rollers on the back side so that when you go up or down stairs the belts catch the edge of the step and the whole unit and load will sort of slide. I've seen these on the larger ones that are normally used for moving washer/dryer etc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts