Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have a single phase, two yellow wire stator on my Kawasaki kz 650 d3 1980, I am looking to find out the voltage i should have and at what r.p.m please.Can anyone help.

Trevor.

·
Super Moderator
2,004 Posts
All KZ650's that I have ever seen are three wire/three phase alternators. Have you traced the wires all the way back to the alternator to see if a wire has broken off and gone missing? Attach pictures if you can.

·
Registered
4,566 Posts
Most 77-80 KZ650s were single phase w 2 yellow wires. It's possible a 1980 model could be either. Instead of going to the trouble of checking for a broken wire, I guess he could check the voltage regulator to see how many yellow wires it has. 1977-80 KZ650 Stator 21003-1005

In the Clymer manual I did not see charging system specs in the supplement specifically for the 1980 models, so I assume you would use the earlier info...

From the Clymer manual: 78-on >> about 14.5 VDC @ 4,000 rpms.
To test the stator disconnect the yellow wires & test for voltage at the 2 yellow stator wires >> about 75 VAC @ 4,000 rpms. Edit: checked at a good KZ650.info forum.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Most 77-80 KZ650s were single phase w 2 yellow wires. It's possible a 1980 model could be either. Instead of going to the trouble of checking for a broken wire, I guess he could check the voltage regulator to see how many yellow wires it has. 1977-80 KZ650 Stator 21003-1005

In the Clymer manual I did not see charging system specs in the supplement specifically for the 1980 models, so I assume you would use the earlier info...

From the Clymer manual: 78-on >> about 14.5 VDC @ 4,000 rpms.
To test the stator disconnect the yellow wires & test for voltage at the 2 yellow stator wires >> about 75 VAC @ 4,000 rpms (be sure to change the multimeter to VAC).
Thanks very much most differently only two wires, only getting 48 volts at 4,000 rpm.
Trevor.

·
Super Moderator
2,004 Posts
Most 77-80 KZ650s were single phase w 2 yellow wires. It's possible a 1980 model could be either.
Cool. Thanks for the correction. I looked at my 1980 manual and it shows a 3 wire. I had no idea they ever used a 2 wire system. Good to know.

·
Super Moderator
2,004 Posts
The 1980 KZ650 D4, F2 and H1 all used a three-wire, three-phase alternator. The output of each phase at 4,000 RPM is ~50 volts AC according to the Kawasaki service manual. So if the Clymer manual that Martin referenced is correct, then the voltage is much higher on a two wire alternator.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have been told that on tick over you should see 15 volts, can anyone shed any more light on that.

Trevor

·
Registered
4,566 Posts
What do you mean by tick over? At idle I think it's normally around 12.6 VDC, probably a tad higher. As the engine speed increases, then the voltage goes up. 14.5 VDC @ 4k rmps is an approximation as it can vary.

WFO-KZ: the D4, F2 & H1 are 1981 models. edited. doh.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry i am still talking about stator voltage, taking a reading from two yellow wires at stator at tick over (idle).
Is 15 volts about right?

Trevor

·
Registered
4,566 Posts
1980 was kind of a transition year. Every source I've found indicates the 650-F1 had a single phase alternator w 2 yellow wires as shown in the Kawasaki wiring diagram (US/Canadian models). But I guess it's possible some of them had a 3-phase. perhaps in the UK or Europe. Or maybe even some F1s that ended up in N America but it was too late to change the documents. just a wild guess. ????

trev the rev: the manual says what the voltage should be a 4k rpms. I don't know what the output should be at lower revs. never checked.

·
Super Moderator
2,004 Posts
Well Martin, you made me go back to check my source and here is what I found: My source is a PDF Haynes manual and the first page is a picture of a 1980 F1, but if you read the fine print on the next page it states that the manual only covers 1976 and 1977 models for UK and USA models. My guess is that someone (other than Haynes) added the wrong picture as page one of the file. So please accept my apologies.

So, I can confirm that the 1976 and 1977 KZ650's for UK and USA used 3-wire alternators according to Haynes, and I checked the 1981 KZ650 CSR also has 3-wire according to factory service manual. Go figure. But I do not doubt you that some 650's came with 2-wire alternators. Beats me why they would do that. Confusing as heck.

·
Registered
4,566 Posts
Just an FYI. You can probably go with the stuff from an 81-83 KZ650 or 80-83 KZ750-4. These models have the same charging system components. Also, for a newer voltage regulator, you can use one from Ninja 500 or Vulcan 500 up to around at least 2009. possible even the later ones; but some of these don't have a pigtail which may not be a problem. I installed one from a 2007 EX500 which was almost identical to the stock KZ650 unit, except the connector was reversed so I had to cut off & install matching terminal pins. pretty easy. There are other reg-rec options, such as a MOSFET type from a modern motorcycle.

WFO-KZ, the Haynes manual is probably wrong. Every Kawasaki/OEM source I've found indicates that most 77-80 650s were single phase w 2 yellow wires. The Kawasaki wiring diagrams show 2 yellow wires which indicate single phase. At least some of the 77s had a 3 yellow wire alternator which I assume is 3-phase.

·
Super Moderator
2,004 Posts
Yes, three yellow wires from alternator is 3 phase. Thanks for alerting me to the two wire system. Lessons learned!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts