Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 82 KZ550 LTD. It sat for 10+ years before I picked it up. It's gonna make a nice bike for my wife.

Anyway, I bought a set of 81 KZ650 forks for it (mine were very pitted and leaking). They shipped them with no oil or pressure, so I have to refill them. My book does not cover these forks.

I have a presser valve at the top which I think I can get out, but I can't figure out how to remove the top of the fork to fill and check the oil.

How much air pressure should I put in once I fill the forks with oil?

Jon
82 550 LTD with 81 KZ650 forks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much. Basically, I take out the top air valve and pour in the oil, then measure through the hole.

Does it say if the 270ccs is for each fork (I'm assuming).

Jon

·
Registered
791 Posts
When you measure the level, have the front wheel off the ground/floor.
If your doing it with the forks off the bike, measure without the bottom of the forks on the floor.
Best to do it when their installed on the bike and everything hooked up, front wheel off the floor (bike on center stand, stands or something to bring the fornt wheel up).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
When you measure the level, have the front wheel off the ground/floor.
If your doing it with the forks off the bike, measure without the bottom of the forks on the floor.
Best to do it when their installed on the bike and everything hooked up, front wheel off the floor (bike on center stand, stands or something to bring the fornt wheel up).
Thanks. That's my project for this weekend. I'll let you know how I made out.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks. That's my project for this weekend. I'll let you know how I made out.
OK, easier said than done. I took out the air valve at the top and the hole to fill the tubes is about 1/16 in (if that). I can barely get 3 ml of fluid in them.

Can I pull the forks, put the fluid in the drain hole and exercise the forks to circulate it?

Jon
82 KZ550LTD with KZ650 forks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Boy do I feel stupid. I re-read the posts above and WALLA, it only took about 20 minutes for both sides.

Now I know what my high school teacher mean when they said "Read the F***ing Question!"

When I ran the 'dipstick' down to measure the oil level, it was roughly a foot down the fork. Is that normal?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, I had her on the road for a couple of weeks. This morning my wife goes out to take it for a ride and the right fork ****ed oil onto the floor. I thought at first it was the fork seal, but it looks like it's coming from the large hex bolt at the bottom.

I read my book and this hold in the internal shaft of the fork. Is it possible that this could leak? Is there something else majorly wrong. I did try to tighten it up but is does not tighten, and turns with just a little resistance. The other side turns with a lot more resistance.

Can I rebuild these myself? I'm pretty handy with a car and airplanes.

·
Registered
157 Posts
It doesn't take much air pressure in those 650 forks to get a weak seal leaking. Take another look at the fork seal. wrap a paper towel around the fork just below the seal and see if it has any oil on it in the morning (if the fork still has oil left in it). The oil will travel down the fork leg and give the illusion it is coming from somewhere else. My bet is its the fork seal. That's about an afternoon's worth of work.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
I rebuilt mine last spring. As stated above, it took me about 3.5 hours from start to finish and that included removal and replacement. It was my first time to rebuild forks. With a good service manual and the tools needed for the job, you should be able to handle it.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts