Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How critical is the valve clearance the manual said .05 to .1 mm. I have a 1982 KZ750 twin is it better to be closer to .05 or .1 At the moment I have two exquast at .1 and one inlet at .05 and one inlet at .1 should I search for some more shims to make them all .1 or will the settings I have be alright?

·
Registered
522 Posts
If they are within tolerances as you say then they are ok and you can save the time and money BUT while you are looking at them you might as well change the 1 shim and give yourself a few thousand miles peace of mind.

The clearances will tighten over the miles so better to have them all starting at the same point (and some folks would say it'll run smoother) to give you an idea of any weaknesses in the engine come the next service eg if one exhaust-valve has really tightened up and the other still on maximum tolerance then you may have a problem with the valve-seat. Only an example, don't worry :biggrin:

·
Registered
818 Posts
I have no problem running to the loose side, as was said, they tighten up as they seat in deeper. I have two valves .001" out to the high side in the Zephyr (shim under bucket, cams out adjustment) which I thought made no sense to screw with. I asked two long time friends/mechanics with factory training in multiple brands and skills to die for... both said they'd leave it alone if it was theirs. I did...

·
Registered
237 Posts
It's in spec, just check them each 5,000 miles or so. Getting to shim under bucket can be a crap shoot, and harder to do than most other bikes.

Sooner or later you will need to attend to this, but not yet.

·
Riding every day!
1,063 Posts
The shims for a 750 Twin can be hard to locate, so if you can find the right shim then adjust the valve that needs it. If it were my bike and I was going to keep it, I would look for all four shims the next size smaller.

·
This space for rent
687 Posts
The 750 twin has shim on top of bucket, and big honkin shims at that.
Z1 Enterprises had a few last time I looked, but they were mostly in the large sizes.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Shim over bucket is much easier to deal with. The cyl in question, need to have the piston lower than TDC, and with a special tool or one you make up, you gain the clearance, and if there is air blow the shim off it's seat, and pluck it out.

With any luck the number size it is, is on the bottom and not worn off.

If it out comes a mic and you measure it. Then go which ever way is correct.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts