Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm changing the fork seals in my '82 KZ750H. I got the bottom bolt and the seal clips out and went to seperate the tubes. No go with gentle pressure, so I yanked them out hard. Pop! Out the inner tube comes knocking the seals out with it!! Cool!

But...looking at the design, there is an inner bushing that rides on the inner tube at the top and a flat washer riding above it (the seal sits on this washer). Neither the bushing or washer can be inserted once a new seal has been installed. So this tells me that the fork tubes must be fully assembled first...and then the seal is slid down the tube and driven in. Right?

If that's the case, then driving the seals in with a socket won't work as some have suggested, because a socket would never slid down over the inner tube. A piece of hollow PVC pipe (that would slid over the inner tube) was mentioned. Is that the way to do this? Am I making sense here? Help? Thanks!

·
itching to ride
2,233 Posts
I replaced my fork seals just last week. I used a piece of wood to drive the seals in. Just tap and rotate. Just a soft bump at one side then the other working back and forth and keeping it going straight.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts