Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
181 - 200 of 293 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
If the hole/passageway is round, you might be able to drill and tap it for a plug.
That's what I was thinking, why ot plug it. A welding shop with a TIG welder could do it. According to the diagram, you could plug the #7 air hose? :)
I would think there are actually four passageways to plug, one for each cylinder.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I can’t claim that set up I’m afraid, it seems to be standard on engines without the clean air device. To my mind, it doesn’t need to be there and neither go the covers as it’s an enclosed slave beneath.

·
Administrator
4,904 Posts
I can’t claim that set up I’m afraid, it seems to be standard on engines without the clean air device. To my mind, it doesn’t need to be there and neither go the covers as it’s an enclosed slave beneath.
That is so weird. If UK smog regs did not require the Clean Air System, why did they bother with the reed valve style covers and a hose? It would have been cheaper to stick with the old style cover.

If you remove the cover on your bike, does the head have the passage ways?

·
Registered
Kz750n Spectre 1982
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #189 ·
Mine came from Minnasota.
At the moment I feel a bit stupid, let me explain, when I did the tappets I had the reed valves out, gave them a bit of a clean etc then replaced them the same way as they came out, me thinking they breath out just as the last person inside did, I just followed how it was and thought it logical, how wrong was I !!!!. Not knowing it was wrong I just followed like a sheep DOH !!!.
I apologise to all for causing such confusion and will have one less beer tonight as my punishment.
I was a class 1 welder before retired, ASME9,LLOYD'S etc etc
Very embarrassed Ian

·
Registered
Kz750n Spectre 1982
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #191 ·
Ian, does this mean it is possible to install the reeds upside down?
Yes, afraid so,I wonder if it's the reason it came off the road 15years ago?
Not started bike yet but don't expect any problems, vacuum valve checked and working, reeds in the right way etc, a little more pipe fitting and should be good to go.
Apologies again
Ian

·
Administrator
4,904 Posts
Totally agree. No apology needed. We all learned a lot from this thread. Thanks for being honest and admitting your error. I am willing to bet you are not the first to put reeds in upside down.

·
Registered
Kz750n Spectre 1982
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #196 ·
That would be great!! I hope you get your bike running!! :)
All things being equal etc the bike will fire up first touch, I am that confident, having repeated someone's stupid mistake (now rectified) I will be sure to be more careful and not take things at face value and only trust the maintenance I do myself, even though we all make mistakes, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.
Best regards Ian

·
Registered
1,294 Posts
Wow! Really weird. This would be a definitive thread in motorcycling history to find out the best things to do to these bikes. How many were parted out because they just stopped working, or people couldn't figure out a work around? :)

181 - 200 of 293 Posts