Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am a new member and rider. Bought my Vulcan 900 custom today. Of course you know what happened next. I laid it down. All the damage looks cosmetic but the clutch and peg are bent in and it looks like the frame is a little bent. (Will post pics) My question is: I have full coverage, but the bike is paid in full. Really like the bike. What are the chances my insurance will total the bike out? Just want to pay the deductible, get it fixed and get back on. Any idea of possible damage?

Update: Just found out, i have Total Loss Protection insurance. Do you think this changes my situation?

·
Registered
52 Posts
It will depend on the price of repairing the bike. If it is more than what the bike is worth they will most likely total it.

·
Vulcanologist
712 Posts
I'd preffer a completely new undropped bike if insurance is gonna cover it completely especially if the frame is bent which it obviously is...

frame damage is more than cosmetic im afraid..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I wont have the money to get a completely new bike. If the insurance gives me at the most 5k then i am out 4k. Do you guys think the cost to repair will be more than the worth of the bike? how much to repair a frame?

·
Registered
67 Posts
insurance will usually give you blue book value for the bike if it has to be totaled. If the cost of repair is more then blue book value, then it will likely be totaled. Just by looking at the pics, it looks like a new 2010 SE, I would imagine if its totaled you would get close to 8k for it. depends on a lotof things though. If you got warranties, some are refundable or transferable. Im honestly surprised you paid 9k for it. I picked up my 2009 SE last year for $7200.

·
Xpylut
438 Posts
If the frame is bent they will probably total it. My 1600 had a bent frame, little damage other than that. It was totalled.

·
Machinist For Sale/Rent
1,234 Posts
Since you had it one day, stand firm with your receipt in hand for the purchase price. Frames are an easy replacement, I swapped frames on my wife's 800 in less than 8 hours.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
More important, are you ok?

·
2x the bike for 1/2 the $
1,175 Posts
Hope you're okay. I'd suggest taking an MSF course BEFORE hopping back on...

·
08 Vulcan 900
98 Posts
Man sorry to hear about your bad luck! Hope you are ok, Not sure what the insurance company will do about that one. Keep us posted!!

·
USAF
312 Posts
Like others have said, the frame is bent, they will most likely write it off. Really crappy to have happen to you on the first day.

·
Forgot to grow up
1,118 Posts
For your next bike I have 2 words........
Engine guard.
Don't know exactly what happened but the damage would have prolly been less.
At least your ok and insured

·
Registered
219 Posts
So I am a new member and rider. Bought my Vulcan 900 custom today. Of course you know what happened next. I laid it down. All the damage looks cosmetic but the clutch and peg are bent in and it looks like the frame is a little bent. (Will post pics) My question is: I have full coverage, but the bike is paid in full. Really like the bike. What are the chances my insurance will total the bike out? Just want to pay the deductible, get it fixed and get back on. Any idea of possible damage?
Glad you're ok. I crashed many years ago. I wasn't ok. For over 2 years I was in and out of surgery. It really sucked.

With all due respect, you should be more worried about yourself than your bike. Before you get back on, go take a motorcycle safety course. At the very least it'll save you and those around you a lot of grief. JM2C.

windman
'06 1500 Classic anniv. ed.

·
Registered
113 Posts
To quote that great sage Darth Vader:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Not the pretty bike!! :cry:

I hope you're okay. +1 on the MSF course if you haven't ridden before.

As a side note, I need to get those engine guards I've been putting off from buying...

·
'06 V2K, Baby!
2,325 Posts
We need a story here...

How'd it happen? You say "New Rider" - how new? Any experience before this? You're getting a lot of suggestions for the MSF; had you taken a safety course before this?

OK - now to your question.

My wife, the insurance agent, says you'll most likely get Blue Book value for it, less your deductible. Most adjusters, she says, use a modified KBB value for their pay-offs. If you bought custom add-ons from the dealer (windshield, lightbar, etc), you probably have some automatic additional coverage for these items. This includes your riding gear if you damaged it in the fall.

Unfortunately, unless you have "New Vehicle Replacement Coverage", which her company doesn't offer on motorcycles, you don't get purchase price payoff.

Of course, talk with your agent, but full price pay-off is unlikely.

EDIT: Oh - and "totalling" doesn't mean that damage repair exceeds blue book, usually they have a modifier for that, too. For example, if the damage repair reaches 80% of KBB, then they total it.

·
Forgot to grow up
1,118 Posts
To quote that great sage Darth Vader:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Not the pretty bike!! :cry:

I hope you're okay. +1 on the MSF course if you haven't ridden before.

As a side note, I need to get those engine guards I've been putting off from buying...
No engine guard on my 1500 is why I now have my 2k. High sided on the highway taking a blind corner. There was a puddle of something on the far side of the semi. Bought the 2k and ahad a guard on her immediately. 3 decent spills (playing around, not in traffic) and she's still aok.

·
Vicrory is Mine
2,489 Posts
Bent Frame = Totaled Bike… or at least in most cases.

If it new, or nearly so I would demand enough $$$ to buy a new one (minus deductable).

·
I'm your Huckleberry
3,317 Posts
We need a story here...

How'd it happen? You say "New Rider" - how new? Any experience before this? You're getting a lot of suggestions for the MSF; had you taken a safety course before this?

OK - now to your question.

My wife, the insurance agent, says you'll most likely get Blue Book value for it, less your deductible. Most adjusters, she says, use a modified KBB value for their pay-offs. If you bought custom add-ons from the dealer (windshield, lightbar, etc), you probably have some automatic additional coverage for these items. This includes your riding gear if you damaged it in the fall.

Unfortunately, unless you have "New Vehicle Replacement Coverage", which her company doesn't offer on motorcycles, you don't get purchase price payoff.

Of course, talk with your agent, but full price pay-off is unlikely.

EDIT: Oh - and "totalling" doesn't mean that damage repair exceeds blue book, usually they have a modifier for that, too. For example, if the damage repair reaches 80% of KBB, then they total it.
Yeah, damage does not have to exceed the value of the bike. Actually, from what I've been told, that threshold is even lower on bikes as salvaged bikes have pretty decent value still.

Progressive just added New Vehicle Replacement Coverage to my policy in November...so its possible to have, but you'd obviously need to check.

Doubt its going to be cheap to fix...good luck...and if you haven't, definitely take that MSF course.

·
frequently disturbs class
2,220 Posts
Does it still shift correctly? I'd be concerned about damage to the input shaft.
If the tranny is wasted, along with the other damage, that bike will likely total.

·
Premium Member
568 Posts
Just go ahead and give your insurance company a call, if you haven't done so already. You only have so long to report accidents with some company.

With that kind of frame damage i would prefer a new frame.

If they do total it out, see how much it would cost for you to buy it back from them. You could take that money and buy a new frame, pegs, shifter and anything else you may need. But before making that discussion you need to make sure the tranny isn't messed up.

Good Luck and hope your OK!!!!

1 - 20 of 68 Posts