Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I learned this weekend that you have to make sure the weather is supposed to be nice BOTH days of the weekend.

I started off saturday morning with a 4 hourish ride to my grandmothers ranch, it got into the 60s once I got going south and was a beautiful ride in the mesquite country. lots of fun twisties and some very challenging roads as I came to find.

but then sunday rolled around and it was cold, butt freakin cold, four hours later, after my hands were number than ever before, I finally got home. I was cold and cranky, but now I've got feeling again in all my body parts, thats very nice to have.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I can add to this:

Say you are on a long trip and still haven't gotten to your distination: check the wheather before you jump on the bike for the day and if the weather is supposed to be bad (i.e., rain, cold...) then stay put and don't try to beat the rain. Also, it is very difficult to see through your visor after riding in the rain for a number of hours (it fogs up big time) and opening the visor in the rain doesn't help either. When riding through the Tail of the Dragon in NC the speed limit signs are very accurate to what you should be going around the turn. The signs are place a good distance from the turn as good forewarning. The many sites about this place are trustworthy too. They are so right when they warn you about trucks, we know of at least one that got stuck on a turn while we were there.

Health tip: if you have TMJ don't ride for extended hours in the cold, it causes you to involuntarily clinch your jaw and the cold and vibrations will lock it up. Very painful and scary. You can't chew for a week.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
in town rain I can deal with, but after a certain speed you just can't go anymore. cold is bad though, ooooo soooo cold, luke warm showers aren't supposed to burn.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Uncle Bob said:
Freakinout said:
forgot to mention:

The trip was nearly 600 miles round trip. I think I averaged 90mph the way back.
Ever hear of windchill, slow down and you won't be as cold.
after its already freezing your hands can only get so cold.

I now have a nice set of heated grips from dualstar, they are toasty warm...

·
Registered
15 Posts
After not riding since August I picked up my ex500 two hours north of where I live in Missouri.

When I arrived to pick the bike up and drive it home the town I picked it up in still had ice in the trees and the ground was covered in snow (but not the road.) Its was colder than the weather man let on. I had everything pretty much covered but after about 45 minutes my hands and feet were froze!

I stopped at a store and bought some Hot Hands, stuck one in each glove and the other 2 in each boot, best 2 dollars I've ever spent!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hot hands are usually in the sporting goods section and marketed to hunters. They are small cotton patches with some sort of chemical, which when it is exposed to air heats up.

·
Registered
63 Posts
hot hands

you can also find 'em at ski shops, or in the skiing/snowbaording section of any decent sporting goods store. Last time I checked you can get a pack of two for ~$3.95

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Warm sunny 55F for the high today, with thunderstorms wed and thur and a great, and I do mean GREAT, weekend coming up. I'm gonna be a little bit saddlesore. :D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts