Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use leaded fuel by choice, but notice that the back cylinder burns black where the front one burns a nice clean white...any explanation for this

Thanx
SA_Meanstreak

·
Registered
242 Posts
Are you sure it's leaded fuel? It can't be legally sold at gas pumps for the public any more. Just wondering. It's black because it's propably running rich on that cylinder, maybe not rich enough to see black smoke but rich enough for the difference in color. How many miles on the bike? How's the plugs look. New doesn't mean good sometimes. Are the plugs the same number? How is the compression in that cylinder. With a little checking you'll find the culprit.

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
his bio says he's in south africa...they might still use leaded gas

·
Registered
242 Posts
No sarcasm meant or intended. What I meant was/is I hope that SA_Meanstreak lets us know if leaded gasoline is still sold in South Africa. Sarcasm is not part of my demeanor, personal tragedies has a way curing someone's slanted demeanor. If I upset someone please accept my apologies, I meant no harm.

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
i think the USA is the only country thats gotten anal about the leaded fuel. i think most of the rest of the world has leaded fuels. the race fuels you buy here are leaded but thats if for us.
as for the question....yes its prob. running richer since its running HOTTER also (doesnt get the same amount of AIR to it that the front does. even if its water cooled it still runs a bit hotter on the back cylinder. not biggie.

·
Registered
19 Posts
TEL

Tetraethyl lead is so toxic...deadly it's unimaginable it was EVER used! As early as 1923 GM and Standard Oil had formulated replacements (because it was killing there refinery people like flies) instead they used TEL because it was so cheap!
The Clean Air Act of 1970, phased in halting production of TEL.
1986 saw that it was banned in the US for additive in ANY fuel stock.
1992 Rio Accords banned TEL worldwide.
I expect some 3rd world nations and others will continue it's production and use for another 20 years...Yes, SA is one of those countries.
Certainly you can use it...I wouldn't recommend cleaning your hands with it.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Late Reply - comms is slow here is SA :))
First - Yip Leaded fuel is stil available here and I would say that about 50% of motor vehicles still run on it, if you look at just outside South Africa I would say about 90% are still running on leaded fuel, so it's going to be with us for a while. We actually get a Dual Fuel (from our own Sasol fuel company)here which can be used by both old and new vehicles.

Anyway thx for the replies, I think the comment from QKENUF4U about the back running hotter is quite the one, after about 2-3 hours of travel both zorts end up with about the same colour.

I also believe that the front cylinder fires more than the back, I recall a test we did once by removing the back spark plug wires and the engine continues to run, but if you remove the front ones the engine dies - maybe also the reason why it sounds different from the HD engines. I am sure the ECU takes this into account and only supply the correct amount of fuel at the correct time periods to the back cylinder - but maybe just maybe....this could be reason for the back running richer.

from a different conversation----hawgklr your comment about Mount St. Helens is hillarious!!!!

Great Forum.......my main question is why do guys change a sport cruiser to a classic cruiser, if this is the objective why not just buy a classic instead of the Meanstreak. I see so many guys customizing the Meanstreak to look like a classic cruiser.

Bye-Wait
SA_Meanstreak

1 - 13 of 13 Posts