Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2007 1600fi classic and it only has 5000 miles on it and bought it new less than a year ago and its leaking coolant out of the overflow hose and on the left side if your sitting on it. it appears the leak is cooming from under the tank somewhere and dripping down and can smell it occasionlly. it dont always do it but does do it enough to were it bothers me. when i took it in the mechanic he said the vulcan are known for there hoses to leak and not to worry about and if it get worse then get it fix. dont sound too smart. just wondering if anybody else has had this issue and if it is common as he says and if i should wait or just go and get it fixed.

·
Test Pilot
2,916 Posts
I've had that occasional coolant smell since I've owned the bike. However, I've been told by 3 different Kawi dealers, it's nothing to worry about in my case. Just check your coolant bottle on the right side to make sure it's up to the proper level. I check it often now, and I've only had to add about an ounce since I've owned the bike. To be double sure, make sure all your hose clamps are good and tight around you radiator hoses and water pump. If you don't see any white dry streaks anywhere, you should be ok, however, if you do see the white streaks, it usually means you're leaking from somewhere. I don't worry too much about the smell too much anymore, I'm more concerned of seeing leaks, but a few drops from the overflow tube is normal. I'm sure others here will have some good advice for you. Let us know if you find anything.

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
Possiblya hose clamp, Vulcans can be notorious for having loose hose clamps. Specifically the smaller ones that are between the cylinders up under the tank. Both my past Vulcans had loose & leaking hose clamps in this position.
they can be a pita to access, and the way the coolant leaks and flows from the area can give a perception of the leak coming from somewhere else.

I believe at this time their are at least two other members posting with a similar concern over coolant leaks on Vulcan cruisers.

·
Registered
4,807 Posts
i have a 2007 1600fi classic and it only has 5000 miles on it and bought it new less than a year ago and its leaking coolant out of the overflow hose .
The overflow hose attached to the expansion tank?
I would say that there are no leaks that are acceptable.

·
Warning V2k Onboard
1,585 Posts
I agree with trikebubble. both my 900 and 2K had leaking hoses, dealer replaced them with better clamps both times, no charge.

The leak looked like it was from the cylinder heads, but was the hoses that Trike described above.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
The overflow hose attached to the expansion tank?
I would say that there are no leaks that are acceptable.
Yep got my vote on that one...NO leak is acceptable and for a Kwak dealer to say that they are is definately NOT acceptable........:eek:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thank u all for the replies. i complained enough to were they decided to go ahead and replace all the clamps that deal with the radaitor i even have the extended warranty i couldnt figure out y they didnt want fix it u would think they would get there money regardless since i still have a warranty on it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts