Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i guess you have to expect thing to go wronge on a 14 year old bike.. on my 90 ex500 the right side fork has started to leak oil.. Just wondering how hard of a job is this really ( i have the haynes manual) im some what of a ok mechanic ( do most to all work on my cars) since its jsut the seel can you replace it with out removing the hole fork?? and if not anyone have any tips for the process..

Thanks

Dan

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm dealing with the same thing on my '86 zx10, all went nice and smoothly untill I found the shop gave me a fork seal for a zx9 :evil: I had to remove the forks, but thats pretty straightforeward.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hey thanks for hte reply... did your forks require that tool to take out the dampening rod or what ever.. like did you make one?? also to press in the bushings ( if you changed them) did you jsut use some PVC pipe??

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mine didn't require any special tools for disassembly, I removed the retainig ring with a screwdriver, and pulled the seal out by repeatedly tapping the lower fork on the end of its travel. Havn't gotten to the pressing the bushings back in part still waiting for the right part.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just put them on, used a piece of EMT with duct tape on the end so it wouldn't damage the seal worked just fine. It was a PITA to get them to go into the bore straight though.

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
they are simple
PVC pipe will work fine if you can find the right I.D. AND O.D. when you put the new seal in just use the old seal on top to keep from damaging the new seal. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE NO NO NO NO NO NICKS IN THE FORK TUBES !!!!!!!!!! if you find one get a small jewelers file and file it off before reassembly :!:
good luck

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Some very fine Emory cloth

IF you have any nicks use a very fine emery cloth and wipe down the fork afterwards...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts