Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed the oil, torqued the oil plug to spec, and the sucker is leaking oil around the oil plug at maybe a couple of drips a day. Put a nylon washer (made for oil plugs) on it, torqued again, and it's still leaking. Anyone have similar issues? I'm very afraid of tightening that plug anymore because I might strip it. Advice appreciated.

·
USAF
312 Posts
I would check your used oil for the washer that came with the bike. It sounds like you missed it when putting the bike back together.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
John, it didn't come with a washer on it. I carefully checked for it the first time I removed the plug. Maybe I should get a metal crush washer to put on it.

·
USAF
312 Posts
That was what I was trying to say the first time. Dang these 14 hour days as of late. It should have had a crush washer. Sometimes it will get stuck on the bike and then fall off when you are not looking. With three bikes, I see this happen all the time. Like I said, it's probably in the old oil. Bluemeanie has it right, quick trip to the dealer and all will be fixed quickly. Just remember to still your finger on the hole and you won't end up losing too much oil.

·
Enjoying midlife Crisis!
452 Posts
Try using the oil screen plug next time (I think the Nomad has one) instead of the bottom drain plug. Its been recommended by some on this forum as a better way to drain the oil, with less chance of stripping any threads.

I do it that way on my 900 all the time, never use the bottom plug anymore.

Ersterhernd

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
That little washer makes all the difference. When I did my fall oil change after all of the times I've changed the oil - I didn't notice that the washer wasn't on the drain plug. I noticed it as I was pouring the old oil out of the drain pan, but I'd already put the new oil in ... there's a little puddle under the bike after sitting all winter here in WI.

It comes out of the basement today (where I store it) and the first thing I'll be doing is putting that gasket on the drain plug!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts