Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Lean Angle Sensor

13K views 35 replies 14 participants last post by  pappie 
#1 ·
I am new to the site and have done some searches and have not been able to locate any threads or posts regarding the location of the lean angle sensor on an '08 Nomad. If there is one, someone please direct me to it.
I have had my battery out several times due to starting issues and I've pushed and poked wiring around and I just want to be sure that I have not disturbed the angle sensor in the process, preventing it from operating as designed and or having it work as designed at the wrong time because it is not in the correct position.
Thanks in advance for any help.
Greg "Bedouin" Lozier
'08 Nomad blue/silver

#3 ·
Lean angle sensor? Okay, I'll bite. Is this sorta like a vacuum actuator for power sun visors?
Geeez rfb, yurs not verie smort, doncha know itsa sensor dat tells ya whens yous has the proper ridin position itsa set for da, monkey humpin' a football look, the pickle up you butt look , and the, I'm way to cool fer school look.

But seriously I've never heard of it. I tried search and even the Lord's own answer book: The "Google" Machine and I'm not not saying it's not there, just I couldn't find a posting of that sensor anywhere I looked. Sorry hope you find your answer somewhere, maybe phone a dealership near you.

#5 ·
Lean angle sensor? Okay, I'll bite. Is this sorta like a vacuum actuator for power sun visors?
If you drop the bike (for whatever reason) the sensor kills the engine. Unfortunately, they work quite well, and if you lean the bike too far (say, loose footing under the kickstand and it sinks farther than normal), the sensor still believes the bike went down and kills the engine. When you try to crank it, nothing happens.

It will reset itself after a matter of minutes, but the OP is asking the location of the mechanism hoping the he hasn't changed the angle at which it was installed. It would be frustrating to lean into a left curve only to have your engine quit because the sensor thinks you went down.

Get your local dealer to tell you. If they don't know, they should be able to find out where it is.

#8 ·
No it's a serious question. I'm probably using the wrong terminology, bank sensor, tip over sensor, whatever it may be called. Somebody please set me straight on terminology. Anyway, I'm talking about the sensor that shuts off the fuel pump on FI bikes if the bike tips over. Is there a possibility of this being in the wrong position and shut the bike down when leaned over hard in a corner. I'm sure there are others that may have fun with this but I'm a thick skinned big boy and I can take it.
Greg "Bedouin" Lozier
'08 Nomad blue/silver

#10 ·
No it's a serious question. I'm probably using the wrong terminology, bank sensor, tip over sensor, whatever it may be called. Somebody please set me straight on terminology. Anyway, I'm talking about the sensor that shuts off the fuel pump on FI bikes if the bike tips over. Is there a possibility of this being in the wrong position and shut the bike down when leaned over hard in a corner. I'm sure there are others that may have fun with this but I'm a thick skinned big boy and I can take it.
Greg "Bedouin" Lozier
'08 Nomad blue/silver
No.........I believe you. I just don't know anything about it. I'm just in a silly mood this morning.............Had a weird dream last nite and I'm doing my taxes. Getting a big refund, so that would make anybody happy and silly.

#11 ·
Thanks OldDog and Twopoint. I knew there would be somebody out there with an FI machine that knew what I was talking about. I'll give the dealer a call tomorrow. Apparently the carbed bikes do not have this sensor, maybe the Nomad doesn't have one either. I have had only one other FI bike, an '01 Nomad and never had it down, but it was located at the aft end of the fuel tank on the frame.
Maybe they are reserved for the "pickle up the butt" gang as rfb puts it so elegantly. No problem with the airbag sensor, I know right where that one is, it's under the rear seat and it turns on and off depending if I have a child or adult on board.
Greg "Bedouin" Lozier
'08 Nomad blue/silver

#14 ·
Sorry about that FRISCO67. I've never even entertained the thought of riding a crotch rocket, they never appealed to me. Closest I've been is the Concours about 15 years ago. Thanks for the info SteelMonkey, I'll check it out.
Greg "Bedouin" Lozier
'08 Nomad blue/silver

#15 ·
I believ you are asking about:
[ Bank sensor / lean angle sensor ]
Cuts fuel injection if bike is horizontal (i.e. as a safety feature in the avent of an accident)

Thats about all I know about it.

#18 ·
Ok, not a 100% sure this is it, but on Kawi's OEM part list it states that thier are two bank sensors on th Nomad under the floor boards. This is where I found it:

https://www.kawasakiepc.com/SystemSearch_Frames.cfm

part #21176-0021

Also, the above link from SteelMonkey didn't work when I tride it also

#19 ·
Ok, not a 100% sure this is it, but on Kawi's OEM part list it states that thier are two bank sensors on th Nomad under the floor boards. This is where I found it:

https://www.kawasakiepc.com/SystemSearch_Frames.cfm

part #21176-0021

Also, the above link from SteelMonkey didn't work when I tride it also
This linky no worky either...............I think those might just be the scraper indicators.

#20 ·
The 'Vehical Down Sensor' is found on page 17-27 in the 2006 book. It is located under the the frame, behind the neck, and above, and between the coils. The book has no tests, Hardly mentioned, and took work to find. When it functions, it kills spark.

I just love Mountain Man tawkin's WAUGH!

#21 ·
The 'Vehical Down Sensor' is found on page 17-27 in the 2006 book. It is located under the the frame, behind the neck, and above, and between the coils. The book has no tests, Hardly mentioned, and took work to find. When it functions, it kills spark.

I just love Mountain Man tawkin's WAUGH!
Mac, thanks for taking the time and effort to research this. I was obviously no where near it when I was working in the battery compartment. I can now ride not worrying that I may have disturbed it. Appreciate your help.
Greg "Bedouin" Lozier
'08 Nomad blue/silver

#23 ·
No Problem, it's what I do...

Where are you at on this problem of intermittant start? I missed any update.
The problem was the battery. It had a dead cell. My son is an electrician and we did some testing based on replys & tips from others and found that all was well in the wiring and connections, battery was pooched. I went with a more powerful battery and it starts better than it ever has. Thanks for asking.
Do you attend the New England VROC gathering in Epsom, NH during bike week? I hope to attend this year if the wife is up to it. Have missed it the last few years. Do you know Ol' Phart Joe?
Greg "Bedouin" Lozier
'08 Nomad blue/silver

#26 ·
One thing to remember. Once the sensor has tripped you must turn off the ignition to re-set the tip over device. Turn it off, right the bike, turn the key back on, good to go. I have never had it trip in a turn and have dragged the floorboards a time or two, but deep leaning like that is not a recommended practice on a Nomad. Way to heavy to be treated like a sportbike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.