Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That is what someone told me long ago about riding a street bike. I had always thought that was a crock........I mean, what does dirt riding have to do with street riding, right?

Well, let me tell you about my little incident yesterday. I was heading down Main St to get on the I-15 south. I had just tried to leave a stop light in second gear, so I was feeling kinda stupid for a rookie mistake, but oh well. I came up on the clover leaf to enter the freeway....one of those sweeping 270 degree entrances. There was a car that was kinda close to my butt, so I was keeping an eye on him. I accelerated a tiny bit as I leaned the bike over to put a little distance between him and me. I was about 1/3 of the way into the onramp....I glanced up into my mirror to check how far back he was......and when I returned my eyes to the road, I saw a dark streak across the onramp directly in front of me. What it was, was a patch of oil.....like someone had blown there motor and then coasted off to the right. I was on it before I knew it.

I was leaned over pretty good, so when my front tire hit it, the front end washed out big time. The first thing that went though my head was "Well, I am finally going down, but at least it wasn't my fault". I steered a little into the turn and the bike stayed up, even though it had slipped about a foot. The back tire then hit the oil and slid out even further. I counter steered and got it straight up again. This all happened in a fraction of a second. I do not remember consciously doing any of it. I felt like I was just along for the ride and my arms were doing their own thing.

I guess my years of dirt bike riding is what saved me, because there was no time to think about what I was doing or even what to do. The weird thing is that I was not too rattle afterward. I guess over the years, I have learned to relax in a time of crisis. I'm sure that the guy behind me was wondering wtf as I was all over the place.

The rest of my ride was uneventful tg, but it is a reminder how fast you can get in ds. I will remember this one for a while.

So I guess learning in the dirt isn't a crock after all..........

·
Registered
460 Posts
Hit the tarmac

It's all about reflexes.
As a kid and teenager I did motocross a lot.
I feel confident with any motorcycle and thanks to this experience I never went down with streetbikes (thanks dad)
The same with cars.
You should practice with go-karts first.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Excellent write-up!

Proves TWO things that are insanely important: one... if you know how to ride you can ride even when you lose and then recover traction (tell that to the ladies who are afraid to ride in the rain). You just rode through oil WITH THE BIKE LEANING and kept it upright.

And second, if you allow yourself to be tailgated... even for a few seconds, you are usually distracted by the tailgater AND at extreme risk for being run over by him should the "impossible" happen!

Excellent post! Glad you're alright!

Ride safe,

Dep

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
I cant stand being tailgated, seriously those people should be dragged from their cars and have their noses broken

in any case, glad you are alright

kenny

·
Registered
201 Posts
Dirt bike riding back in the day is some of my best memories! Tearing it up on my 1978 125 Honda Elsinore, That was one hot dirt bike! Sure wish I could find one of those in good condition today. The dirt bikes of today are too tall, I can't hardley touch the ground when sitting on one! Oh well, I guess I'll stick to my 900 custom. Dirt bike riding definately is great training to become a skilled Street motorcyclist.

·
NEW VULCAN, OLD RIDER
734 Posts
A lot of the experience gained sliding around in the dirt is directly translatable to street riding. Perhaps you were not startled by the front and rear tires coming out from under you a bit because it was not a new sensation that you had never experienced before. You intuitively reacted as you had while riding in the dirt.

·
2x the bike for 1/2 the $
1,175 Posts
I've been in those slide scenarios, and although they were freaky, i was able to keep/regain control of the bike, yet I have zero dirt biking experience. I think after alot of riding time, you're body becomes accustomed to the physics of how to control your bike. Like when you said "..I do not remember consciously doing any of it. I felt like I was just along for the ride and my arms were doing their own thing.." That is because after so much ride time, your brain learns to instinctively control the bike like an extension of your body. I'm not saying that experience riding dirt is not good, i'm just saying that not having any does not mean that a person would not be able to handle a slide scenario like that.

·
Registered
548 Posts
I've been in two situations where i've lost traction while leaned over, causing my rear tire to slide way out on me, and both times i just naturally did the right things to regain traction and keep going. I chalk at least part of that up to luck, but i do believe that the more experience you have overall, the more likely you will be able to do the right thing to stay up.

·
Former Vulcan Lady
4,223 Posts
Excellent write-up!

Proves TWO things that are insanely important: one... if you know how to ride you can ride even when you lose and then recover traction (tell that to the ladies who are afraid to ride in the rain).
There are plenty of men afraid to ride in the rain too.

·
Registered
441 Posts
There are plenty of men afraid to ride in the rain too.
I was referring to the men! They sound like little girls when they start that "it was slick" and "I was hydroplaning" and all that other rain-riding nonsense that you hear from people who have little riding experience. Or have a lots of riding experience but haven't learned the right way to ride.

Slightly sexist choice of words, I know, and for that I apologize.

Dep

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was referring to the men! They sound like little girls when they start that "it was slick" and "I was hydroplaning" and all that other rain-riding nonsense that you hear from people who have little riding experience. Or have a lots of riding experience but haven't learned the right way to ride.

Dep
A person should ride within their ability and comfort level. Because someone is uncomfortable or inexperienced, they should not be belittled by a more experienced rider, no matter what their sex. So what, if some of us have little experience or are unsure of ourselves under certain conditions. Some people make it sound like they rode a motorcycle home from the hospital after they were born. Let's try not to forget that we all started at the same point. We are here to help those that are learning. Just for the record, after 12,000 plus miles and over 2 years of everyday riding in all types of weather, I still consider myself a novice..........I can say that with my nads still attached to my body.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I don't understand your point, RFB? What do riders who talk sh*t have to do with riders who are novices and riding in your comfort level?

Riders who say they aren't comfortable riding in the rain are just fine in my opinion. Riders who say the rainy roads were "slick as snot" or that they "hydroplaned" are riders who don't know how to ride and have no interest in learning. Very big difference!

Being uncomfortable or inexperienced is one thing. I quite agree that you should ride in your comfort level. Pretending you are an expert and that you know everything is quite another thing, especially when you don't know sh*t.

I was a novice rider at one time. I didn't go around spouting off nonsense, like how "slick" it was in the rain, or "how I had to lay it down to keep from hitting something" or how "I drag my feet on the ground until I'm more comfortable to pick them up". I kept my mouth shut and I learned from more experienced riders... and I learned from riding ALL THE TIME.

The older riders told me to pick my feet up when the bike starts moving... no need to drag your feet on the ground because centrifigal force keeps the bike upright! I said, right on! Now-a-days they say... well... until I'm more comfortable, the safer thing is to drag my feet.

There are plenty of novice riders on this board and most of them want to learn. I'm an experienced rider and I still have plenty to learn. But when people say things that are FALSE, I will call them on it. If they want to learn, they will thank me for it. If they think they know everything, then they will just keep talkin sh*t.

There are certain LIES about motorcycle riding that people like to tell (foot-dragging is safer... rainy ground is slick, especially when the rain first starts falling after a dry spell... bikes hydroplane in the rain... ABS brakes take longer to stop... heavy cruisers can't lean over very far... both brakes should be applied equally... etc. etc.).

It doesn't matter if you're a novice or an experienced rider, if you believe these things you are dead wrong.

Dep

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·

Dep

I have riden in the rain and "it was slick"...........and I'm sure that if I would have riden fast enough, that "I would have started to hydroplane." I guess in your world, that makes me a little girl that doesn't know how to ride. I guess I'll have to go shopping for cotton panties tomorrow. That is my point. I don't recall anyone talking $hit in this thread. You need to back it down a notch or two.........your timing chain is way too tight.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.