Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone knows of any website or something that would give me a good sense of how to work on bikes, and learn about how they work as much as possible?

Ryan

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
I saw an add on Speed Channel for motorcycle school (mechanic). I'll try to find the number again. Duno if thats what your interested in.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
LEARNING

IF you have a bike...ordera Service manual from Beartooth Kawasaki for it...not some aftermarket manual....Clymer or some other name...IF you don't have a bike choose one fairly simple like the Ninja 250R and get a Service Manual from them. Then read it from cover to cover. IF you have questions about something then ask the FORUM, visit a local bike shop or BOTH! This Forum is a great tool. You may get (how many members do we have) views or opinions, but just look at the information tha tyou receive nad go with what you understand the best. I always try to see what someone has in their profile and see if I can tell them or relate to them in Electronics terms or just common easy way to tell someone...(confuses the heck out of some people) in a way that they might be able to grasp. If you wanted to know about oil, and you worked at McDonalds and you knew about frenchfries......where Curt likes to go into the Math and Physics, RampRat will go into Offence (WEAPONS), he's great, and everyone has a way, and it makes the place fun and crazy sometimes. It's like holding a dime up between two people and then you explain what each one is seeing (the opposite side of the coin) and it turns out one of the guys is Canadian and doesn't even have a clue, or the other way around he does but the American is like clueless because he doesn't have a clue as to what your even talking about...(Don't you see the God Bless America on that side of the coin?) Gee, hmm, so get a Service manual and read ir from front page to the back page, and keep some notes. then come back and ask bikeaholic or Freakinout (ha, ha) any of us. I'm picking on these two guys because they are a blast! Uncle Bob is the fun one. He lives up in Canada, and doesn't get out much, or something, but when you get him to write back to you he has a Differrent way with words...He's an asset (that is a good thing, Uncle Bob) to our wonderful Forum. I don't want him writting back about him setting around on his butt or something wierd like that...Where is he lately???

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
KawaNinja said:
I was wondering if anyone knows of any website or something that would give me a good sense of how to work on bikes, and learn about how they work as much as possible?

Ryan
By the way,

The best learning method for me has always been trial and error and doing it myself. I usually arm myself with the Service manual and a Haynes and Clymer if they have one for the bike. Each manual has a viewpoint and different time savings tips sometimes.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just out of curiosity, how much should the Haynes service manual usually run for (EX500 if it makes any difference) ?

Ryan

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Around $20.00...You can find used ones at book stores and ebay.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
BEARTOOTH KAWASAKI

Beartoth Kawasaki sells the Service Manual for your bike. YOu will get something less than a real service manual if you purchase anybody elses manual. Forget Haynes, Clymer...get the REAL thing! Besides buying the Manual from them you are supporting a Kawasaki business and not some bookstore that coud give a Rats behind about you or your bike, it's just a book with an ISBN number and a price tag keeping THEM in business. We should be supporting our Forum Sponsor, and dealers that provide our parts for us. I'm NOT sorry for my attitude in pushing the Sponsor or Dealerships, over bookstores and warehouses selling helmets, clothing and such. They are NOT selling motorcyles and cannot give us reduced prices on our bikes when we want one. IF everyone quit supporting the dealerships we would have only one importer to order our bikes from and then they would have to be shipped to us ndwe wouldn't have any where to go for service. ALL Service would either have to be done by us or othrer machine/repair shops by people that were not Certified or necessarily knowledgeable on our specific motorcycle. READ the Kawasaki Service Manual, and get a notebook for questions (i.e. where can I get adjustable shocks, better ones for my specific style of riding?) Also, IF you haven't started one get a logbook and log everything from bike serial number frame and motor to everything that you do to the bike. not only when, what, how, where but any other things that you may have learned ....like maybe you don't have to remove the entire fairing...) Tire pressures are for the AVERAGE, as well as everything else on your bike. Change things and keep records...while you are waiting for the Service manual to arrive. Just call them at 1-800-556-3098...you already get a discount...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts