Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
VRA National President
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's going around the message boards - Harley, Honda and I think Suzuki are doing test marketing on leasing motorcycles! OK, it might keep the cost down on those $20K+ bikes but who in their right mind would personalize a leased bike by adding a $1000 in chrome accessories? Even spending $500 on pipes would be stupid.

The whole notion kinda irks me a little. This is just going to invite even more fair weather riders who run out and buy $30K motorcycles for their first bike, ride 20 miles per year to bike events in their brand new wardrobe of "hard core biker gear". Leasing a bike... that's like leasing a wife. The motorcyclist culture is becoming so diluted. :(

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Ahhhhhh....the wheels of commerce and how they churn.

From a business standpoint....it could be a huge boon for the motorcycle industry as the "hook" could be set....and then the fish could be landed by the bargeful.

From an owners/riders standpoint....and a purist standpoint.....it'll be like living in the country and having DisneyLand built right next door. :(

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Motorcycle rental? Sure. I'd love to take a VN2000 or Hayabusa out for a spin. Heck, I'd even enjoy romping around on a Goldwing. Maybe even a Vrod =P

Motorcycle leasing,.......... um,....... I don't think so. Half the fun of buying a bike is customizing it to suit you. It might work for BMW's or the Wings- something people would just leave stock.

Phatboy

·
Registered
229 Posts
I could be mistaken, but I thought that BMW had been doing that for quite some time. And you're right Slicks, it's not for everyone, but for some folks, picking up a new scoot every year, never worrying about shop time, and always having a brand new bike at your "beck and call" is not necessarily a BAD thing ! On the flip side, it's rather "cost-prohibitive" for the average rider, and doesn't allow for much personalization. (However, what are you going to do to a loaded BMW) Lastly, I understand Harley had looked into it, and was all set, til the insurance premiums ruled out of the question.

·
ULTIMATE Forum Supporter
7,748 Posts
There must be a way for them though. How does Eaglerider rent bikes? You basically sign your life away, I don't see how it would be different for a lease, you the rider would be 100% responsible for any and all damage etc. I can't believe how easy it is to rent a Harley, you just show up with a valid drivers license, credit card and say Yes to "I can handle a heavyweight cruiser". They do no prequalification and don't even watch you leave the parking lot, I think because they don't really care, they are covered if the bike is damaged.

·
Registered
403 Posts
BMW started leasing motorcycles several years ago, they even have their own Financial Services operation (i.e. bank). Anything less than 3 years makes for a pretty high lease payment. 4 years is probably typical, especially for the more expensive models. Even then, many of the accessories are easily removed or retored to stock. Radios, bag liners and Corbins can all be moved to a new bike, or sold to another Beemerphile. The way they accessorize a bike is vastly different than a typical cruiser.

I don't know why leasing didn't work for H-D, maybe it was the insurance but it generally doesn't cost more to insure a leased vehicle if you carry full coverage anyway.

As to who might lease a motorcycle ? I dunno, maybe CPAs, lawyers or doctors.

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
the downfall of a lease as far as I'm concerned is the connection to when you lease a car. Leasing a car has mileage restrictions like so many miles per year, don't know if that'll be on the ticket for bikes but I'd hate to have a hot ride out in the garage with 100 miles left on my lease agreement before I have to start paying so many cents per mile extra and it only be the end of April....

·
Registered
488 Posts
If they start leasing bikes to weekend warriors that only put 200 miles a year on the bike will be good for us.. Just think of the great deals you will get on those barely used bikes. I say go for it. I will still do it the old fashioned way.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I understand why some people lease cars and trucks, but motorcycles? I do not know one person at least with a cruiser, that has not personalized the heck out of it. I suppose you could take all the stuff off and sell it to someone else, before you turn the bike in. I would not want to be restricted on how many miles I could ride and all that goes with a lease. Though I am sure not everyone customizes there machines. For me personally I can't wait till I pay mine off and can really customize it with the extra money. It may work for some.

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
centerpunch said:
If they start leasing bikes to weekend warriors that only put 200 miles a year on the bike will be good for us.. Just think of the great deals you will get on those barely used bikes. I say go for it. I will still do it the old fashioned way.
sounds good to me !!!

·
Registered
244 Posts
I agree w/ c-punch. Let 'em lease. I'm not opposed to buying a low miles used bike and using all that extra money on accessories.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

and just what were terms of this lease? any early turn in penalties? :grin: :grin:

·
Registered
243 Posts
I don't agree with the leasing concept for us riders. Motorcycles are just too personal to all of us to just be "renting" one. These are our babies, our pride and joys. I'd bring mine in the house every night if it wasn't for the wife LOL.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Unlike cars where there's a Jiffy Lube on every corner and you're bombarded with fliers to get your car maintained I'd be leery of too many bikes ridden by fair weather riders that could suffer some long term problems. How many leasors are going to follow the break in rules and care about oil changes if they're only in it for the short haul. I'd expect a lot of left/right side "minor damage" from some unexperienced drops and potentially even worse a higher population of riders with no interest in improving their skills as a rider as long as they look cool, accident rates go up and so does our insurance. It's a great way to introduce more riders, expand the sport and create a healthy used market I agree I can't wait to hear about all the people with new fancy $25K+ bikes that get trailered to Myrtle and Daytona Beach, cruise 20mi up and down the strip, return home and get stored until next year.... ;-)

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
flynsouth said:
I'd expect a lot of left/right side "minor damage" from some unexperienced drops and potentially even worse a higher population of riders with no interest in improving their skills as a rider as long as they look cool, accident rates go up and so does our insurance.QUOTE]

that's what would make me leary, well put.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Who cares if they lease. Everyone has different tastes and abilities. Some people love the idea of riding but are so caught up in "busy-ness" that they don't, or can't, really commit to the ride.
I think a lot of us are on this forum because we have a love for riding as well as saying we own a really cool bike. We need to be careful not to become like some HD guys that think if you are not riding a HD there is something wrong with you. We have discovered there is a lot more to it than a brand name. If people like to lease and then find they don't ride, it's their problem. They missed out. I also think that some people that do lease will realize there is so much more to riding that they will get past the leasing part of it and dive right in.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Fair points but simply put my real point is lowering the commitment level may enable lower skill levels on the road which can make it dangerous for all of us. Riding a motorcycle well is a skill that erodes if not used and developed. What/when/where/how much you paid and what you say about your ride has nothing to do with my enjoyment (although I love to see peoples pride in their handiwork show through), how you ride does.

·
Registered
459 Posts
In the snowbelt, leasing would never work. The bike is laid up for 5 months. Also, several states have "vicarious liability" laws. This means that the leasing company is held responsible for damages in accidents where their lessor is at fault. Some car leasing companies won't write leases in those states. They were hit with high-dollar judgments. If the lease-end value of the bike is high, it could be a good deal. There are a lot of people who don't customize their bikes, so they might be attracted to it. They get the latest & greatest every couple years. But.....when hordes of leases end, there are a lot of used bikes out there suddenly. This can have the effect of reducing the value of YOUR bike, if there a lot of your particular models that were leased. It happens with cars. Just a few tidbits to mull over.
Regards

1 - 20 of 21 Posts