Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've spent a few days looking around on the web for a good crusing leather jacket. However, after looking at ebay & all kinds of other places I've come to the determination that you get what you pay for.

However, without being able to see/try on jackets over the net I was wondering if anybody had any recommendations on what brands of leather work well & any on line vendors that not only have excellent prices and products but customer service as well.

Forgot to mention, what is the removable body armor??? Last I knew body armor was something you wore to stop bullets.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
LEATHER

RampRat, Leather jackets are kinda like trying on motorcycles...seriously! Their sizes are not always the same..double, tripple stiched, with/without removable liners, cowhide, goatskin...the list goes on. Vanson Racing leathers out of Boston is an awesome jacket...but some of the newer jackets made are not leather and they are pretty awesome. Bottom line instead of rambling like I mostly do...Go to several shops and shop around. Body armor is sometimes extra padding even kevlar(yeah like stopping bullets) or even titanium in one jacket I was reading about. DryRider or Goretex for rainsuits can be folded and rolled up so that they take up very little space...I still wear my Navy?military Laceup boots and use shoecream, lanolin and mink oil, to keep them high gloss and soft...

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the AVG Aero Sport jacket a good jacket? Found them on the web for $119. it's a dual leather and mesh jacket with CE-approved armor :?

Not to many bike shops around these parts & they all have a extremly limited selection. Will hit them the next couple days again, but I'm sort of thinking if this jacket is a good one to get it and just wait on the all leather one.

For footwear I'm set for life :roll: Have more pairs of black leather boots than I can shake a stick at. Also have several pairs of the leather tan desert boots. Figgure it's going to be years (if ever) before I need a new pair of motorcycle boots :D

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
AGV

The AGV AeroSport is a nice jacket. Black/red, Silver/black, Black/yellow, Black/blue. I also like the Aeromesh and AVENGER All of thes accept the optional pants...a good thing. Right now I have a Red Helmet, but my bike is yellow, so I will probably get a white helmet and add some Yellow 3M stripes, maybe a white one. Being seen is a priority, and I will also be adding a pair of FIAMM Freeway Blaster 12 Volt horns.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: AGV

ZX-2R said:
The AGV AeroSport is a nice jacket. Black/red, Silver/black, Black/yellow, Black/blue. I also like the Aeromesh and AVENGER All of thes accept the optional pants...a good thing. Right now I have a Red Helmet, but my bike is yellow, so I will probably get a white helmet and add some Yellow 3M stripes, maybe a white one. Being seen is a priority, and I will also be adding a pair of FIAMM Freeway Blaster 12 Volt horns.
We have the metalic Candy Red HJC helmets (no charge from the dealer) to set off the black of the bike.

I've been thinking about getting one of those modulator things for the headlights & some kind of brake light flasher along with possibly a LED license plate frame (or some other kind of LED rear light)

What's the FIAMM horn????

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
PARTS

The license plate frame can be ordered in red LED solid or when you hit your brakes it doubles the intensity...and there is the kind that the sides of the plate are in AMBER so they also flash. you can order replacement bulbs for your bike in LED's. I don't (personally) believe in the modulator on the headlight...the bike bounces enough to make it appear to be flashing...the next time you are in your car (gage) watch a bike come up from behind... FIAMM horns, Freeway blasters are something like 132db high/low combination horns that demand attention. I use a fuse from the fuse block then take the power to a relay and hook teh relay up either for power or ground whichever you need...for the input I take a small wire with a 2A fuse in line and crimp it in the connector to teh horn tab and then to the relay. When you hit your horn just for a split second it sounds just your regular horn,but the delay for the relay is pretty short and then the FIAMM horns kick in and it will scare the xrap out of even a truck, or even someone in a quiet inside cadillac...they come with a chrome cover but it can be removed. I don't know if you were actually wearing an aviation helmet at all when you were in, but the 3M tape glows real brite when light hits it at night...like bumpers on trucks, yellow on school busses...I just decide on what colors to run. draw lines with a .2 pencil then take a hair dryer to the 3m tape and install it...wiping out any bubbles with the heat of the hairdrier. Oh yeah, I have an HJC helmet that I kept when I sold my Polaris ATV, it is comfortable...

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got the Aero Sport jacket today.

Did not really know what to expect & thought the size was going to be way big (I normally wear a XL to XXL, but the only size they had was a XXXL)

It's different but I like it :D

Never had anything like it before & can't wait to put a few miles on wearing it.

However, one thing that really jumped out and bit me. The rain liner seems really cheap & not at all well attached across the top. Otherwise it seems like a pretty well made & durable jacket.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
SO IT FITS?

So it fits and it's not to big? You'll have to give us updates as to how it feels and how it works...I still have my eye on AGV...My Vanson is to small even without the liner in it...

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: SO IT FITS?

ZX-2R said:
So it fits and it's not to big? You'll have to give us updates as to how it feels and how it works...I still have my eye on AGV...My Vanson is to small even without the liner in it...
It actually fits good (almost to tight) for my liking. I'm not the skinny kid on the block, but normally a 2X is large on me.

Only problem I've noticed so far is that the neck tends to rub against my neck. However, it's more anoying than anything.

The rain liner is cheap, but it does block the wind & without it I'd freeze to death (It's been cold here & might snow up in the higher elevations today)

Hopefully today I'll put some highway miles on the bike 8)

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
TRY

Sounds silly, but I'm on hte Board of Directors at the Gardner Historical Museum, Inc., Gardner, KS...Right now we have a Tribute to Mothers on display and in 1890 till ??? they used to tack in velvet to th hems, collars, cuffs because other wise the dresses would wear out from dragging and wearing......

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: TRY

ZX-2R said:
Sounds silly, but I'm on hte Board of Directors at the Gardner Historical Museum, Inc., Gardner, KS...Right now we have a Tribute to Mothers on display and in 1890 till ??? they used to tack in velvet to th hems, collars, cuffs because other wise the dresses would wear out from dragging and wearing......
The wife has a 1880's Victorian dress (new, not a "real" one) and I've got several sets of Men's 1880 period clothing. Want to get a Frock coat, but can't afford one after getting the bike :D We are both members of SASS, but ain't been shooting in over a year as my schedual after reteering is actually bussier than when I was active duty. We both really like old historical museum's & the "old west" way of living.

Heck, we had 3 MVA's Friday night & all 3 required extracation at least one person. One driver had drank over 1/2 a 5th of Jose Curveso Tekillya & could not understand why the rolled the car :? :?

Got about 3 hours of sleep & now today is clear & dry. Might try and get a short nap & then talk the wife into going around the block on the bike :roll: Figgure we will be on the interstate (I25 & I80) quite a bit tonight with all the traffic.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
SHORT NAP

Yeah, I have to hop in the rain locker and get ready for the musuem...I can't afford period costume..although the house was built in 1893, it has a 1950 addition upstairs...and that is what I call MY room. Anyway be safe...check with you later...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts