Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just putting a question out for us guys \ gals & seeking your opions.
I have several motorcycle jackets which are all textile material & decided earlier this week to order my first leather jacket.
Which do you prefer textile or leather for comfort & protection ?

·
TV Guru
11,779 Posts
I prefer textile for comfort and visibility. Protection is going to be pretty much the same, except the leather will be more likely to be wearable again. Textile usually sacrifices itself to save your skin, kind of like a crumple zone in a car.

The good news is, I can get at least a couple textile jackets for the same price as an equivalent leather one, so if I have to ditch one, I'm still at least even - and I get a new jacket that isn't rashed up. Honestly, I would probably ditch a leather jacket that was dinged up if I went down only because it would annoy me to wear a rashed up jacket. So, I may as well wear something that is essentially single use and get the other benefits along with it: price, versatility and visibility.

As far as comfort, textile jackets are a lot more versatile for changing conditions and are often at least partially rain proof. Some have multiple liners that can be swapped in and out, based on the season making them usable for more parts of the year.

Textile jackets often have more reflective and brightly colored portions than a leather jacket would. You can get brighter colored leather jackets, but the textile jackets usually have more of a sheen that makes them pop a bit more. Of course, both types come in basic black.

·
Vulcan 800 Classic
5,114 Posts
I love the leather but for comfort and equal protection textile with armor is the way to go, and it's okay to get it wet.
I agree moisture is definately a point to address. I love my textile. The other nice thing with textile is you can regulate for temps too. A mesh with armor is way cooler than a leather for summer! plus you can still add a liner to make it warmer or weather resistant.

·
Rok'n'Rol
192 Posts
Ok, yeah, sure, the textile is more versatile and more lightweight...

But, there's no way in @%& I'll ever get the same reaction from the lil' girls running the espresso bar in textile as I will in the leathers!!!

:cool:

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
Leather is far better for protection than textile. you can get leather jackets with armor just like textile, and the abrasion protection, leather is better. If i have to go skidding across the road, leather is the only way I'll do it.

My leather jacket has zippers for air intake, and they also make perforated leather, which is still stornger than textile. As long as you are moving and have wind going across you, it's reasonably comfortable.

I wore my leather at Road Atlanta in June of this year and it was in the upper 90s. as long as I was moving on the track, I was perfectly fine. When I stopped, the first thing I did was start shedding it.

·
Registered
20,606 Posts
i love my Icon leather jacket and my Hein Gericke textile jacket.

both are warm, but the Icon has a zip out liner and is perforated for coolness in the summer.

I'd recommend having one of each really.
Same with pants, 1 textile for wetter/colder days, 1 leather for other days.

buy the best you can afford.
ensure they have armour at the shoulder, elbows and proper armour on the back, not a little foam pad.

of course i recommend getting a 1 piece waterproof for when it's properly raining.

·
Registered
20,606 Posts
haha, well leather will be fine for light rain
textile is fine for light-medium rain
but when it's torrential, you need a set of proper waterproofs

:lol:

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
Each has its advantages and disadvantages. Personally, I think leather is more comfortable and I think it does a better job of keeping the wind and cold out. I do not worry about the rain comparison, because neither is really good for that. I also think that leather is the superior protection for abrasion, but often times is missing the armor needed to protect hips, knees, shoulders and elbows. Leather is definately more expensive, but I also think is far more durable, easier to care for and will last a lot longer. I think over time, you will probably spend about the same amount of money on gear.

I have both. In the summer time, I wear the textile, because it is much lighter and cooler. But, once the weather cools down a bit, I switch over to leather. I still wear my textile over pants however, because I cannot find a pair of leather over pants with the armor in them that I want.

·
Registered
4,070 Posts
I own both. I pick the leather typically. The leather jacket is much more substantial, weighing in at 10 pounds. If you want to dress for the fall, I would go with leather.

·
I'm your Huckleberry
3,317 Posts
Leather is far better for protection than textile. you can get leather jackets with armor just like textile, and the abrasion protection, leather is better. If i have to go skidding across the road, leather is the only way I'll do it.

My leather jacket has zippers for air intake, and they also make perforated leather, which is still stornger than textile. As long as you are moving and have wind going across you, it's reasonably comfortable.

I wore my leather at Road Atlanta in June of this year and it was in the upper 90s. as long as I was moving on the track, I was perfectly fine. When I stopped, the first thing I did was start shedding it.
Right there with ya Dave. Leather definitely protects better. How much protection is actually needed you can argue all you want, but leather IS better.

Anyway, I LOVE my Fox Creek bomber jacket. Two air vents in the front, a big one in the back, two in the sleeves, plus a perforated center section under the exterior...I can leave the outter shell open, zip up the interior section and get the effect of a perforated jacket. Plus, I just added a few months ago proper shoulder, elbow and back armor. I've worn it up into the mid 90's (110 heat index) and was OK (not perfectly comfortable, but OK). Also worn it down into the low 20's. Thats pretty versatile in my book.

As for rain, I have a proper rain suit that fits right over the top.

Cost? Uh...no comment ;)

·
Registered
63 Posts
I have both and one or two that are a combo of leather & textile. Most of the time I use my favorite textile Joe Rocket jacket. The fit and feel are like a good old worn out hat.:smile:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts