Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Old and nasty
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking real hard at the Leatherlyke Cross Country Saddlebags for my 09 900 Custom. Does anybody have these bags? I am looking for some feedback as to how they hold up and if there have been any problems with them. I am also looking at the Viking Leather bags made especially for the 900 and the V2000. Any thoughts either way? The Vikings are $289.00 and are bolt on bags and the Leatherlyke are $489.00 and are bolt on with quick disconnect. I like the idea of being able to take them off easily, but I worry about how sturdy and safe they are. Any info from the forum is quite appreciated.

·
Enjoy the ride
357 Posts
I had leatherlykes on my 1600 for about 8 or 9 months. I recently sold them on ebay only because i am changing the look of my bike and i went with the tuskayu patrol bags.

I had no problems with the leatherlykes. They are made very well, can be disconnected, although I found it to be a slight pain, and there was no carrying strap once you had the two bags off.

They hold a lot of stuff in them, and held up fine an a 1,500 mile ride loaded down.

If you like the looks of them I would highly recommend them.

·
Rebel Rider
3,646 Posts
I have them on my 1500. Great hard bags. Love them.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I also have Leathrlykes (contemporary) on my 1500 and really like them. I got mine off e-Bay for $60 and had to replace one lid and both locks ($104). Good deal and then I got the trunk (new for $200) also off e-Bay.

·
*** V2K Rocks!!! ***
1,692 Posts
I had the Leatherlyke Cross Country Saddlebags on my 1600 Classic for a couple of years and they held up fine. Only thing I didn't like about them was you always needed the key to open and close the lids. Other than that I had no complaints and I liked they way they disconnected quickly from the bike.

·
MadMac
246 Posts
My wife has them on her 900 Classic and she loves them. She installed them by herself and found it quite easy. This is the second set of LeatherLykes that my wife has purchased. She also has a set of them on her Honda Shadow. Water doesn't get in and they are very secure with their locking lids. She recommends them with no reservations.

·
Registered
570 Posts
We have them on her 900 and my V2K. Really like them. We also have the liners (with straps) so it's easy to take our stuff to a motel room on a trip. The lock is a real plus in my opinion and the bags have helmet hooks that lock the helmets. Several years ago I was hit by a deer. (yes, IT HIT ME while I was stopped after I saw it) The bike was thrwn down hard on the road and sustained over $5K in cosmetic damage. It ended up laying on the LL bag which had only a small scratch on it. The bag saved me from even more damge to the bike.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
My wife has over 15k on her 1500 with Leatherlykes, they have held up great. Lots of room, pretty easy to get on and off. I'm going to get a set for my 1600 at some point.

Duffy I really like how you did your trunk- did you do anything special to mount it or did you put it on that flat bracket the passenger pillion mounts to?

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
I love mine. They're really tough. In fact, they've saved my bike from damage when I took a spill, yet they weren't damaged themselves. I ride a 1500, so that's a lot of weight for a saddlebag to support. They're nice and roomy. I love the fact that they lock and that they have built-in helmet locks.

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
buy them from BTK HERE! i really dig mine and they have been great. you will get a forum discount too which is nice. i have heard how some people have dropped their bike and the bag protected it. Dunno how true that is since they are hard abs plastic but they come off very easy. they also have helmet locks on them which come in handy.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts