Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was passed by one of those compact ricers last night that was lit up like a christmas tree. LED's and neon everywhere. Looked kinda funny to me. Well I started thinking about it. I've seen bikes of all sorts with just a few accent light on em and some with a whole lot. I had considered maybe one or two under the tank at one time, not to look "cool" just thought it might make the bike a bit more visible at night without comprimizing its all around appearance. But honestly I'm just not sure how I really feel about it. So I was wanting to hear what everybody else thinks about them. Do you have LED's? like em, dislike em? Do you think it takes away from the bike or adds to it? Seen someone go overboard with it? Pretty much leaving this one open to anything. I'm not looking for advise, just curious to see what you think.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
One of my friends put a small amount of red led's under his fairings on his CBR600R. They dont show too much, but they definately make the bike easier to see at night. Plus, its looks cool.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Be careful and don't overdo it.
Most aux LEDs are not legal, but unless your state has annual inspections, you can fly under the radar by avoiding:

Red visible from the front.
Any blue.
Solid amber visible only from the rear.
White visible from the sides or rear.

And in some states, green is a problem as well, I believe used by volunteer fire.

In SoCal, blue is a ticket. The cops have really been cracking down on street racers and "ricers" with illegal lighting and other accessories. I haven't heard of anyone being cited on a bike, but it's something to be aware of. A couple of color-matched lights on the bottom of the tank that reflect off of the engine or under the fenders that reflect off of the rims SHOULD be cool.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Interesting!?

Bamabob kind of has the same inquiry but on the back of his jacket.

I never linked a thread before so i might to link his thread here or just take the easy way and say see LED thread.:eek: :p

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Be careful and don't overdo it.
Most aux LEDs are not legal, but unless your state has annual inspections, you can fly under the radar by avoiding:

Red visible from the front.
Any blue.
Solid amber visible only from the rear.
White visible from the sides or rear.

And in some states, green is a problem as well, I believe used by volunteer fire.

In SoCal, blue is a ticket. The cops have really been cracking down on street racers and "ricers" with illegal lighting and other accessories. I haven't heard of anyone being cited on a bike, but it's something to be aware of. A couple of color-matched lights on the bottom of the tank that reflect off of the engine or under the fenders that reflect off of the rims SHOULD be cool.
I think we can all safely say that blue should be off limits across the nation.
There are tooo many, saying it nicely, morons who impersonate law enforcment officers.

In B'HAM AL, are you kinding, what inspection? When i moved here and needed to get new tags for my cage, I think the DMV person in the county clerk's office just went outside to confirm VIN and vehicle. To renew tags, you get slip in mail and option to renew tags on-line. SWEET!!

In Memphis TN, we had to got to the city/county inspection station for lights, signals, brakes, pollution emmission, horn (I think), etc before gettting tags.

Sorry ranting. This was about LEDs

·
Power Hungry V2K Rider
6,395 Posts
I've got some lights on my Nomad. They are under both bags and on the front and back of the motor. Can change the color: red, blue, green, amber. The can also do a fade from color to color or blink form one to another. Never had any problem with the local constabulary.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I think we can all safely say that blue should be off limits across the nation.
I'm not sure I agree with you... I think you have to look at the context. Surely solid blue underbody lights don't suggest law enforcement or solid blue lights on the sides of a motorcycle. Or what about a light blue?

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
I'm not sure I agree with you... I think you have to look at the context. Surely solid blue underbody lights don't suggest law enforcement or solid blue lights on the sides of a motorcycle. Or what about a light blue?
HEHEH, even as i typed that I was imagining blue neon on the side of a motorcycle. In fact, on the ninja250 forum, someone posted a pic of their blue or black 250 w/blue neon inside or underneath of the engine body framework. If I'm saying that right. It was a cool look in the dark.

I retract my comment about outlawing all blue lights on non-law enforcement vehicles. Maybe like K.I.T.T.'s red neon from the original Knight Rider series.:p

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
I've been considering adding some lighting too but as Rich pointed out most of the colors are off limits because they infer some enforcement or emergency vehicle. Amber seems to be about the only acceptable color. Still purple should be ok too. Neither of which fits well on a red bike.

·
Millenium Vulcan Pilot
3,808 Posts
Blue is about the best looking color. I have a friend with a HD Deuce and his bike has so much chrome it looks AWESOME with the lights on. He usually doesn't ride with them on, mostly when he parks it, they go on.

I'm thinking about doing some blue lights on my V2K. The V2K LTD comes with some extra chrome than the stock V2K and I think it will make the LED's show up really nice.

It's too bad they have to over do it about aux lighting on a bike. I can't imagine anyone is going to mistake a bike going down the road with a few blue LED's on it for a cop with FLASHING RED/BLUE lights and a siren.

But that's just my .02

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Personally I don't like LEDS - either on bikes or on cars. To me they scream, "Look at me, I'm trying to be cool." I prefer low-key.

·
Thanks to all Veterans!!!
16,933 Posts
Personally I don't like LEDS - either on bikes or on cars. To me they scream, "Look at me, I'm trying to be cool." I prefer low-key.
I think at night, I'd rather NOT be low key, at least on the bike anyhow. I think I'd rather be seen. I don't have any on my bike, but I've thought about it a couple of times.

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
I think some basic lighting for safety is a very good idea. Most of us just never fully appreciate how completely invisible a bike is on the road. From the side or rear at night a bike can be very hard to notice.

While I'm not much into the strange colors and stuff to light up the engine etc. I do think extra lighting is always a good thing...

·
Registered
112 Posts
Had lots of orange ones on my old bike

It was great at night, wont be doing that to my new Nad, only leds on it will be to light up the rear (red) that little tail light bugs me. Want to be seen at night.

·
Perpetual Motion
6,663 Posts
Blue is about the best looking color. I have a friend with a HD Deuce and his bike has so much chrome it looks AWESOME with the lights on. He usually doesn't ride with them on, mostly when he parks it, they go on.

I'm thinking about doing some blue lights on my V2K. The V2K LTD comes with some extra chrome than the stock V2K and I think it will make the LED's show up really nice.

It's too bad they have to over do it about aux lighting on a bike. I can't imagine anyone is going to mistake a bike going down the road with a few blue LED's on it for a cop with FLASHING RED/BLUE lights and a siren.

But that's just my .02
They made accessory LED's legal in PA last year (or was it two years ago). I have blue LED's lighting up the mill. It does look cool and increases visiblility immensely. It can be done very inexpensively or ridiculously overdone/overpriced. I have two freinds who spent a grand on lighting their choppers. I spent around $50 and it makes about as much impact...

ElectroPods - StreetFX Series

·
Banned
880 Posts
ive thought about this for my zx6r. i mulled it over for a while and almost did it and then i was like 'man if i mount to the fairings ill have to disconnect every time i wanna take them off'. Kinda sounded like a PITA so i think im just gonna stick to performance mods for now. Plus if i ever take it somewhere to get it worked on if i forgot to tell them i have lights theyd just rip the fairings off and my wiring too. i have em in my car though. obviously if its done tastefully and you CANT see the tubes im ok with it but when people go overboard it just takes away from the bike.

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
I think at night, I'd rather NOT be low key, at least on the bike anyhow. I think I'd rather be seen. I don't have any on my bike, but I've thought about it a couple of times.
I totally agree with you, but I think (I may be wrong, of course) that 95% of people who are thinking of putting LEDS on their bikes are doing it for the "bling factor", and not to be seen better at night time.

It sounds a little bit like people who put after-market pipes on their bikes and say they did it for the safety factor - so they can be heard easier :lol:

·
Perpetual Motion
6,663 Posts
I totally agree with you, but I think (I may be wrong, of course) that 95% of people who are thinking of putting LEDS on their bikes are doing it for the "bling factor", and not to be seen better at night time.

It sounds a little bit like people who put after-market pipes on their bikes and say they did it for the safety factor - so they can be heard easier :lol:
Meangirl and I run with ours on at night all the time. It really does make a difference and the bike far more visible. So, in our case, I'd say it's about 50/50... :cool:

·
Alien Test Subject
3,515 Posts
Had lots of orange ones on my old bike

It was great at night, wont be doing that to my new Nad, only leds on it will be to light up the rear (red) that little tail light bugs me. Want to be seen at night.
Nice look! I've been thinking about doing this to my Meanie, but with red.

I think it looks good, as long as it's done right. Just a couple to accent the motor, and maybe the billet wheels. I'll freely admit that I want it for the bling factor, but it does have the added bonus of making the bike more visible at night. :biggrin:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts