Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just put a side mount license plate on my mean streak and i need to get a light for the plate for at night time so it will pass inspection, any ideas on something thats kinda small and wont make it look tacky? thanks guys

·
Registered
15,327 Posts
just put a side mount license plate on my mean streak and i need to get a light for the plate for at night time so it will pass inspection, any ideas on something thats kinda small and wont make it look tacky? thanks guys
I've seen white, bolt LED's for sale before. I forget the site but I'm sure there are a bunch of different places that you can get them. Google, turn signal LED's and I'm sure you'll find some.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I've seen white, bolt LED's for sale before. I forget the site but I'm sure there are a bunch of different places that you can get them. Google, turn signal LED's and I'm sure you'll find some.
+2. I also run those and like them. The only thing I would like to add is they really don't light the plate that well. If your state requires he plate to visible at a certain distance, you might have a problem.

·
... at the old, ballgame!
1,061 Posts
I don't know where you live, but just a heads-up - your bike may now be illegal to ride in Florida. First time fines for an illegally displayed plate are very heavy.

Looks like new laws go into effect in Florida

(I saw somewhere that Florida was thinking about backing off their draconian position regarding illegally displayed plates, but have not confirmed that they have.)

·
Alien Test Subject
3,515 Posts
I know that here in PA, the LED tag bolts technically won't pass inspection. Most places would probably pass them, but I see cops pullover bikes with them all the time.

The 6" LED strip at the top would be perfectly fine here though (actually considering one for my Meanie)

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
I was going to say, Get yourself a Bullet light with a metal shell and red lens to mount over the plate then drill a small hole in the bottom of the shell. Dress the hole edges and mount a white translucent plastic snap in lens there. Cool lookin' Instant Plate Light plus some extra visibility at the rear of your Bike.
Painless Black Wolf
...Here for the Dawn...

2005 Drifter 800

8,922 Posts
I don't know where you live, but just a heads-up - your bike may now be illegal to ride in Florida. First time fines for an illegally displayed plate are very heavy.

Looks like new laws go into effect in Florida

(I saw somewhere that Florida was thinking about backing off their draconian position regarding illegally displayed plates, but have not confirmed that they have.)
I think they repealed that law last summer.
316.2085(3)A motorcyclist may not conceal or obscure their license plate. The requirement that a motorcycle license plate be affixed horizontally is deleted.
DHSMV: 2009 Legislation Affecting Traffic And Motor Vehicle Laws

·
... at the old, ballgame!
1,061 Posts

·
Registered
219 Posts
Cruisercustomizing.com has several LED plate frames. I have one by Signal Dynamics. Very nice piece of chrome, and the lights are impressive at night.

windman

·
Registered
178 Posts
I have a meanie with a cobra plate and turn signal mount. The LED bolts wont fit the top bolt holes. I ordered a LED licence plate frame Tag Bolts Motorcycle LED License Plate Frame Light Illuminator - LED Tag Bolts and mounted it upside down. Worked great. Here in CT we dont have inspection for bikes like some places but I dont want to give the cops any reason to pull me over. Good luck.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts