Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Beach invasions by appt.
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all,
A few weeks ago I was backing the bike into her spot in the garage and noticed the license plate was GONE!:confused: As I had just ridden it wo days before and it was there when I left, I was concerned. I know it was not stolen, because she gets locked in the garage every night, the only conclusion I came to was that the thing fell off.
After getting a new plate, I attached it with nuts that won't back off (originally had wing nuts, my fault) I also put allen head bolts in to keep away thievery, as 99% of people do not carry an allen wrench with them. 8)
Any way, lesson learned. I hope nobody else learns this the hard way.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I lost my plate within the first 1500 miles on the bike.

Stock bracket.
Held only by the top 2 holes.
The vibration cracked the plate and it fell off, leaving only the top corners still attached to the bolts.

Took the remaining pieces to the DMV...they asked:
Damaged or lost plates ?
I said, BOTH!

So I replaced the plate, but this time invested in a license plate frame with a thick back plate. Its not going to crack anymore...I hope...
So far about 6k miles and still looks solid.

This is the one I got:
Kuryakyn License Plate Frame & Back Plate Set - KU9166

·
Registered
340 Posts
I put my plate on with nylon bolts and put a little super glue on as I tightened the nuts down. I can break the bolts easily enough if I have to remove the plate but they will not come loose due to vibration.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts