Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all I have ridden Kawasaki bikes for 46 years. My 82 Spectre 750 I bought brand new. Celebrating 40 years together! Last summer I located and purchased 1982 KZ 550 LTD with, if you can imagine! It had 2687 Miles on it. It was in storage since 1984! Can any give me an actualp value of the bike. I know we did not pay what it is probably valued at. Thank you.

·
Registered
530 Posts
You've joined a great forum! I purchased my 1983 GS750ES brand new, and still am riding it. Last year i picked up a ZZR1200 with only 3495 miles on it, crazy! The bike isn't even broken it. I got it for $2400 bucks. I have done all the basic things you do with a bike like that, new tires, etc., but I have also customized it a bit too bring it using the knowledge I've gained on this forum, it's full potential.

Those Spectres are uniquely beautiful bikes. I remember when they came out, they weren't a copy of anything, they were "Spectre" motorcycles. The fit and finish was incredible. It's a great feeling to have a bike for so long and know every nut and bolt on it. I also still have a 1975 CB400F Honda I purchased new. :)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The blueing is still on the stock tires. They are still like new. As you said , the motor is not even broken in. I agree it is an awesome feeling to have owned and ridden the same bike for almost my entire adult life.

·
Administrator
3,797 Posts
First off, welcome to the forums! What a nice find. Barn finds are getting so rare these days.

According to Hagerty's, if the bike is in #1 concours condition, then it could be worth as much as $4,200.
Most of them sell for $1,500-$2,500 depending on condition.

Here is Hagerty's definition of #1 concours condition:

Condition #1 motorcycles are the best in the world. The visual image is of the best motorcycle in a condition often better than when it left the factory, riding onto the lawn at the finest concours. Perfectly clean, the motorcycle has been groomed down to the tire treads. Painted and chromed surfaces are mirror-like. Dust and dirt are banned, and materials used are NOS or original and superbly fitted. Early 1900s original barn find motorcycles with excellent sheet metal and good original paint that are running and clean can fall into this category. The one word description for #1 vehicles is "concours"

PS, you will need to replace the tires for safety reasons. Rubber hardens with age and loses its grip. Also ALL fluids need purging and replacement, but it will be worth it for sure.

·
Registered
530 Posts
The blueing is still on the stock tires. They are still like new. As you said , the motor is not even broken in. I agree it is an awesome feeling to have owned and ridden the same bike for almost my entire adult life.

The blueing may be on those tires, but you do need to replace them. It could be very dangerous to run tires that old. They are probably very hard, and could crack, and have a catastrophic failure. Better safe than mangled. I have a feeling on continuity with my bike that I don't see in the people I know who have had multiple motorcycles, or let their last one g, and didn't replace it. They lament the sale, and can't seem to justify the expense of getting another. Some of them go nothing for their bikes too. They also feel like they are still bikers, despite not haven't ridden for 10 years. I would say, pro-motorcyclist, but they aren't bikers. My opinion, maybe it's good for them, who knows. ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts