Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Hoosier Vet
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:-D I bought a used shield for the fairing on my 900 from a guy on Ebay. Price was good, but it has a lot of light scratches on it. Looks like someone took fine steel wool to it and it is really hazy trying to see through it.

Anyone have any ideas on how to polish out the scratches to make it see thru again?

I know, there are gonna be those that say lower it so you can look over it. Don't waste your time telling me that, I've heard it and read it a 1000 times before. I already have it set to look over it, but I kinda like to see thru the shield too. Kinda like to see what I'm about to hit.

·
Poser Proud®
3,778 Posts
There are several products for just that purpose. The one I used on my airplane wind screen was called Microglaze (or something similar). I have one that I got at Autozone that works well, but I can't think of the name right now.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
McGuires plastic polish works pretty well. I have seen some others that you have to be more careful with. They usually consist of a 3 part process with three different compounds. When they work though they are awesome, just be careful of the pressure applied when using.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I haven't used it on a motorcycle windshield yet, but have on other plastics like hazy automobile plastic headlights and it's worked great. I've also used it sparingly on hazy spots on my helmet's visor.

It's Novus plastic polish and comes in a set of three bottles -- Plastic Clean & Shine, Fine Scratch Remover, and Heavy Scratch remover.

I've seen it a several mail order catalogs, but got mine at the local The Container Store.

·
Registered
211 Posts
My bike is a 1997 so you could emagine the scracthes I had on the windshield. Anyway,I took it to the car wash last year to spray off all the bugs from a long ride. Was spraying the windshield and a layer of fillm started blowing off it. I just kept on spraying and it just kept getting clearer.
My windshield still looks like new. I`m sure the coating was some type of protectant but I have not had any problems so far. I just keep it coated with Lemon Pledge and only clean the shield with the pressure washer so no new scratches. So far so good!!!

·
Registered
506 Posts
Yeah,the Meguiar's PLASTX clear plastic cleaner & polish. This stuff is real good! Walmart has it,its in the automotive dept. In a white 10 once bottle!

·
Registered
506 Posts
I mean a 10 ounce bottle,not 10 once bottle!! Oh well,i had to fix that one!!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts