Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Lightbar Installation

3K views 41 replies 9 participants last post by  Spok 
#1 ·
How difficult is it to do the installation on the OEM light bar? The directions on the Kawasaki site make it sound rather complex and involved. I'd like to save the labor dollars at my local shop if this is something I can do.

What do Ya'll think?

#2 ·
You seem like a smart guy . Do it yourself It won't be that bad . The direction's alway's make it sound harder than it is. I read a medical book once on heart transplants,sound like a piece of cake. Just looking for the right state to work in. I know I could do them for half the going rate. <LOL>

#3 ·
Install it

Hi:
Go for it. The instructions given arent that bad. The wiring might be a little scary to you but just remember not to ground out any hot wires. The diagram should spell it all out for you. Installing the light bar should be a snap. Hey, if it turns out you cant do it, bring it to the shop and have it installed. At least you tried and you just might save yourself a good chunk of change. As for the wiring, take a look at this sight and read what this guy has to say about wiring and he gives you a diagram to follow.
http://www.gadgetjq.com/wiredrivinglights.htm While your there, go to his home page and check out all of his hints and instructions. A great sight.

#4 ·
spok said:
How difficult is it to do the installation on the OEM light bar? The directions on the Kawasaki site make it sound rather complex and involved. I'd like to save the labor dollars at my local shop if this is something I can do.

What do Ya'll think?

Although I have been into electronics for over 10 years, the installation of the lightbar is very straight foward. The wiring is very simple once the headlight is taken apart one would understand. I recommend that you have someone helping you in this conquest. I modified the wiring and routing to make it look much nicer. Overall it took me about 1.5 hours, because i am a particular when it comes to these things.

If you have any questions please let me know.

#6 ·
I placed my order today for the F&S Lightbar plus some other goodies, the F&S Engine Guard, Chrome Drive Shaft Cover, Replacement Lowers for use with a lightbar, Leather Studded Tank Panel, Indicator Light Panel with the vulcan logo, Chrome Side Covers...now the agony of waiting for Big Brown to deliver is upon me....

#11 ·
Whistle, Spok's like everyone else that live's in the northern region. If you can't ride ,then you have to tinker with the bike until you can . But that end's up costing more than the riding.<LOL>

#12 ·
T-man said:
Good choice on those chrome goodies, Spok. And the light bar is a piece of cake, just follow the instructions EXACTLY as written. Also, one small thing, be sure you get the light bar for your bike...there IS a difference between the F&S light bar for the carbureted bike vs the FI bike.
Thanks T-Man for the advice. I used the Kawasaki website to record the part number before I placed my order...It should be the right one.

#14 ·
woodchucks800 said:
Whistle, Spok's like everyone else that live's in the northern region. If you can't ride ,then you have to tinker with the bike until you can . But that end's up costing more than the riding.<LOL>

LOL....The American way! :)

My eyebrows have rasied a few times after the credit card and I had a spending party. Oh well....we can't take it with us. ;)

spok....just so ya know....it never ends :shock: LOL

#19 ·
woodchucks800 said:
Spok ,that light bar is a safety issue isn't it. Your wife wouldn't want you to ride around in an unsafe environment would she? lol
that's the way to do it ! you just have to make sure you have that plan before you tell her the first time. that way, as soon as her mouth starts to open, boom, you throw that at her. she stands there stumped for a minute and you slowly sneak away, hehehe.

i am going to agree with everyone here and say to definitely take on the job yourself. i have no doubt that you will be able to handle it. i will also agree with 1500classic in saying that the leave a little to be desired on the wiring job. i installed mine the way it came only because i knew i would be rewiring it this winter. if you are not electrically inclined, then the factory wiring will fine for you. let us know how it turns out.

#20 ·
woodchucks800 said:
Spok ,that light bar is a safety issue isn't it. Your wife wouldn't want you to ride around in an unsafe environment would she? lol
It is a safety issue, thats how I sold her on this latest round of mods. I know I'll be able to do the work myself, and have some inclination to electrical work, that is, I've not electrocuted myself...yet. I really want to do all that I can to my bike so I'll work my way thru the lacking directions and get'r'done.

What I don't what Mrs. Spok to hear is that mods and upgrades never stop, that won't make her happy.

#21 ·
Alright, lightbar mod completed. Yes, it wasn't all that difficult but could've been easier if the directions from Kawasaki were better written or even thought out in advance. As I posted in the general tightening thread, my center tree bolt was VERY loose, so loose that when I put the 27mm socket on it, it turned like the socket was too big, and I even said to my son, this socket is too big it doesn't even fit. Then I discovered the loose bolt.

The directions were less than helpful in the way they are laid out, after disassembly of the front end, the reassembly was going well, putting bolts back on until I came across the part about hooking up the little ground wire. I had to go back and take out bolts I had just put back in so that the wire could go on. Not a big problem just difficult with a windscreen on and lightbar on and no room to get your fingers in let alone a wrench.

The wires from the lights themselves was just barely long enough to twist together and hook up to the switch, and the quick plug supplied to put these wires together and onto the switch was too small to accept the larger gauge wire, a little modification was required. Also on the direction misdirection, hooking up the turn signal wires also had me going back when I was hooking up the other side of the switch, had to disconnect the running light wire so that I could tap into it, with the supplied tap...

All in all, the job was easy, you all were correct, it was harder than it had to be thanks to the Kawasaki supplied directions. All it took was a few colorful metaphors and some counts to 10 and it was a job well done. Thanks to you all for your help.

#22 ·
spok said:
All in all, the job was easy, you all were correct, it was harder than it had to be thanks to the Kawasaki supplied directions. All it took was a few colorful metaphors and some counts to 10 and it was a job well done. Thanks to you all for your help.
sometimes that's all it takes !! :grin:

#26 ·
heck, at 8:30 lastnight I just had to take it out to make sure it was all done correctly. I had already had the great luck of putting in about 70 miles earlier when it was light before I put the bar on...if today cooperates, i'll go out again & make it 3 days in a row

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.