Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
finally got to ride my new classic fi and had a blast! it is hugely more comfortable than my magna and even handles better at low speeds. super comfortable for two people. can't wait to break it in so that i can get on the throttle! unfortunately the billet lightbar the dealer installed had one light fail within 17 miles and the other shortly thereafter. looked inside each of the lights to check bulbs and found the wire to the blue indicator light cut off and a dangling ground wire on both sides with a male plug (did not notice that the indicator lights did not come on when i picked it up). will have to take back to dealer who is unfortunately 2.5 hrs away from here. there do not appear to be any wires coming out from the wiring coming into the lights for these wires to connect to. is this somehow normal? aren't the front turn signals supposed to come on as running lights? (they did on my last bike) thanks for info as i would like to know what is going on when i go to talk with the dealer................cj

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
No dangling wires does not sound normal and my front turn signals work as running lights. Sounds like the dealer forked up the install.

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Phatty

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Maybe they should have used a wire stretcher? :(

·
Registered
837 Posts
maybe they shoudda done their job right the 1st time :?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mystery is solved

i wound up hearing from someone thru cruiser customizing who indicated that his signals do not come on as running lights either and that the bulb burning out was due to durability problems with the fi billet lightbar. he indicated that the bulbs are very easily damaged by vibration and that he converted his to ge sealed beam bulbs after being frustrated with this problem (and has 15k without burning out a bulb). hearing this, i think i probably damaged the bulbs towing the bike up to flg on my trailer and may not have a wiring issue as i have checked out all of the connections and wires and cannot find a problem other than the indicator light wires not being hooked to anything. will try the sealed beam conversion and hopefully stop the problem. thanks for the input! very cold here but sunny so will hopefully get in some riding this weekend........cj :razz:

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
I've had similar problems with factory bulbs. Just change over as you plan, and all will be well.

FYI - I also upgraded from a Magna to a Vulcan this year and couldn't be happier. The Magna had a bit more spirit off the line, but for overall handling, comfort and torgue, you can't beat these Vulcans! :)

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Have had my F&S light bar for about 1.5 years and about 15,000 miles. Burnt out both driving lights once each, but I ALWAYS ride with them blazing - gotta be seen! That's my experience - don't think longevity is too bad considering the service. My bulb is a H3 halogen, 25 watt. Always have a spare in the tool box (in the garage,not on the bike).

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
Ken said:
I've had similar problems with factory bulbs. Just change over as you plan, and all will be well.

FYI - I also upgraded from a Magna to a Vulcan this year and couldn't be happier. The Magna had a bit more spirit off the line, but for overall handling, comfort and torgue, you can't beat these Vulcans! :)
we have quite a group of magna riders converted, huh. i was shocked at differences from the magna to my nomad. a lot of things that i thought the magna would be better at, the nomad blows it away. who would think that a 750 lb bike would be easier to handle at slow speeds than a 505 lb bike ?!?! although, i must say, the magna was a pretty quick little ride, just took an extra shift to get it into the power band.

david

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
yeti1 said:
i wound up hearing from someone thru cruiser customizing who indicated that his signals do not come on as running lights either and that the bulb burning out was due to durability problems with the fi billet lightbar. he indicated that the bulbs are very easily damaged by vibration and that he converted his to ge sealed beam bulbs after being frustrated with this problem (and has 15k without burning out a bulb). hearing this, i think i probably damaged the bulbs towing the bike up to flg on my trailer and may not have a wiring issue as i have checked out all of the connections and wires and cannot find a problem other than the indicator light wires not being hooked to anything. will try the sealed beam conversion and hopefully stop the problem. thanks for the input! very cold here but sunny so will hopefully get in some riding this weekend........cj :razz:
I installed a Cobra Light Bar to my 1600 Mean Streak and I have not had any problems with it or the turn signal running light. One thing I learned while installing the light bar was not to tap into to the headlight wires but tap into the running light wire. So, make sure the wire is not connected directly to the headlight wire. To ensure weather tight connections w/o soldering, try this http://www.posi-lock.com/ (you will never have to solder again).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts