Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm new to this board because I sold my VN750 and got a VULCAN 94' "88" 1500. Love the bike. I got one problem, the reed valve on the front of the motor seems to be leaking. The hose that go's on the reed kept popping off (the entire collar) so I used thread lock to hold the collar in and then put the hose back on, it does not pop off any more but it started leaking shorty after I did that. I have everything off the front and there is nothing you could say "ok there is the leak or problem", it's not a heavy leak and when you ride it the excess blows out the right side and gets on the pipes the left side stays clean with no evedence of a leak.
After I took everything off the front and check for the leak, I did check the bolts on the reed although they were tight they had some slack in them. Which made me wonder, could the slack in these bolts be enough to cause it to leak?
That's as far as I got, so I though I would ask and see what everyone here thought.
Many thanx in advance!

·
Can You See Me Now?
325 Posts
The first thing I would do, go to the VROC forum site and look throught their archives, your's cannot be the first one. The second thing is, while you are looking for the first, read about taking the reeds out and sealing that area. I know there are kits out there to do just that!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
after I took the reed off, the inside gasket had a "shin" to it but did not seem soaked but a little wet. I don't know if would be the problem there seem to be more oil than what would come from that. ?? I ordered new gaskets I will just try it and see how it go's.
I have heard of the coasters you can get them easy on ebay. Do they do any good?

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
after I took the reed off, the inside gasket had a "shin" to it but did not seem soaked but a little wet. I don't know if would be the problem there seem to be more oil than what would come from that. ?? I ordered new gaskets I will just try it and see how it go's.
I have heard of the coasters you can get them easy on ebay. Do they do any good?
Yes, they do. It stops the backfiring on decel when you change out pipes. Marbling the hoses does the same thing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts