Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
KLR`s and BBQ`s
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yeah...I took my new-to-me bike in for a safety yesterday, and I need new front fork seals and front brake pads (due to fork oil). I could do this myself, and save myself some money (I was quoted 250 CAD for the forks alone!) but since I live in a stinkin' apartment and have no garage I can't do it myself...

Just venting, one day I will have a place of my own...

·
KLR`s and BBQ`s
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would, but it's in my lease (and every other lease I've had) that I can't do any sort of work in the parking lot, Otherwise I would, I figure gearheads would see me from the balcony and come hang out...but no dice...

·
Old and nasty
517 Posts
Have you checked where you live for rental garages or work spaces?> some times you can find them to rent by the day or the hour. Good Luck

·
Fat Bottomed Girl
15,029 Posts
What Mick says. Or, do you have any friends who may have a garage? See if you can do it there. I've had friends do that at my place in the past.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
cover the floor, pull the bike in, and work on it IN your apartment! :D that is, if youre ground floor!

just a suggestion ;) i remember living in an apartment...we didnt have anything saying we couldnt work on stuff outside. me and my buddy both replaced our radios and speakers and all kinds of stuff in the parking lot. no one cared! of course...Mississippi. if it were somewhere else people would probably get mad LOL

·
KLR`s and BBQ`s
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My old man has a garage and I have been doing some work at his place, but I hate tiptoeing around wondering if I'm bothering his wife, and all my firends are poor like me, so no houses. I know there is a way I could do it somewhere else, but from my growing up at my moms place (with a garage), half the fun was having all my stuff permanenely there, and I could make a mess and clean up when the job was done etc. I would like to work on the bike myself to save some money, but more 'cause it's fun...when I have more money I will still buy old stuff - it's fun to work on!

·
I was at D.O.D #1!
785 Posts
Find your nearest Autozone, park there, and go nuts. Every time I go there someone is working on their vehicle right there in the parking lot. A Walmart parking lot would work too.

·
TV Guru
11,779 Posts
Find your nearest Autozone, park there, and go nuts. Every time I go there someone is working on their vehicle right there in the parking lot. A Walmart parking lot would work too.
That's what I was thinking...

..of course, the hard part is getting all your tools there.

·
Carbon Based Life Form
1,180 Posts
+ 1 on inside the apt. I lived in a complex with the same rule and the manager gave us no slack, So I rebuilt a dirt bike in my apt and when I was done we wheeled it out at 10 pm "underthe cover of darkness" LOL. My lease said nothing about automotive work in the living room.

·
KLR`s and BBQ`s
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
haha, that's awesome....but that would be outta the question with the old lady...we have a 530 square foot one bedroom, 2 aquariums, one terrarium and 2 cats...I don't have room to fart, let alone fit a fat Kwaka in here! It would be sweet though!

Looks like I have a freaking exhaust leak at the H-Pipe as well...I put some foil tape on it so it would just pass the **** safety, and they said no dice... have to weld it, there's some more money out the door...

·
Need Time To Ride
3,247 Posts
When I was in an apartment I kept my bike (Honda 750-4) in the living room and worked on it until someone called the fire dept. I learned to close the patio curtains.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
I'm in an apartment right now, and my bike is parked right outside my door, half assembled, which is kinda normal around here. we park our bikes in front of our doors, chain em to porches, and do all our repairs/maintenance here, or at my buddy's place where all the FANCY tools are.

·
KawiLove
2,933 Posts
Me and bretsk2500 have the same problem in our apartment - no mechanical repairs in the parking lot - per our lease. But it looks like June will have us moving into a house!!!! Yeah, no more paying for storage for our 2 kawis and the snowmobile!!!

·
TV Guru
11,779 Posts
haha, that's awesome....but that would be outta the question with the old lady...we have a 530 square foot one bedroom, 2 aquariums, one terrarium and 2 cats...I don't have room to fart, let alone fit a fat Kwaka in here!
Wait, your landlord lets you have all those pets in your apartment, but you can't wrench on your bike in the lot? Those are some mixed up priorities. It's like my landlord won't let me have a waterbed, but I can have a 60 gallon aquarium in my apartment - this despite the fact that the waterbed has a safety liner designed to hold the entire contents of the mattress if it fails. The aquarium? Not so much.

I could understand requiring covering the ground to avoid spills and limiting the time of day when the bike can be disassembled (no parts laying about overnight), but I would hate to not have the option of replacing my own brakes or changing my oil.

·
KLR`s and BBQ`s
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, I thought I would try to scam an oil change last fall. I changed the oil in my truck and my 550 in October before I put it away...just a couple drops on the parking lot, I was really careful, and i got an earfull. So no more messing around here. I hope to be moving to a house soon too though, so I can look forward to having a nice and messy garage!

·
Finally got my Ninja!!
611 Posts
i feel your pain. i too live in an apartment that does not allow us work on vehicles. but what i've take to doing lately is just waiting until the office closes, then going outside and doing what needs to be done. its not much lately, an air filter in the car, a couple of spark plugs, nothing involving oils and such.

but next month i'm moving to another apt, where i will have a garage on site and can store my tools and pull the car on the inside to work on it there. i'll also be headed to sam's to get that floor liner, just so i know i don't muck up the floors.

good luck with getting things done.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts