Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks, does anyone know where the tank rubbers fit onto the frame of a 1984 or 1985 ZN1100?

I got the bike in pieces with rubbers missing. I have looked for rub mark clues and there are some faint marks that might show where they were at one time but due to all the things I have found wrong with this bike, I cannot rely on a previous owner mounting the rubbers in the correct location.

My Kawi service manual is of no help and neither is Partzilla. I have scoured the internet looking for photos but have found nothing useful.

Essentially there are two rubber sleeves (92075) with a split in them so they can be installed onto the twin frame rails under the tank. This tank is held in place only by the rubbers so it is important that I get it right. As far as I can see there are two possible locations for the two split rubber sleeves. One is mounted at the very front (near 92075A) and the other is mounted at the back, near 92075B. Also the diagram does not show it, but I think there should be one more split rubber sleeve for the middle frame tube which goes somewhere near the back third of the tank. The position of where these rubbers mount along the frame is critical.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
4,509 Posts
I don't have a ZN1100. my disclaimer. hee.
92075A are the front tank mount dampers >> they're round dampers that fit onto studs on the frame. As for the 92075 split dampers, the diagrams indicate that there are only two . From EB pics I'd say they should be fitted near (& forward of) the rear cross-bracing for the central frame tube.

·
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks martin-csr. I do have the 92075A and their location is obvious. With some more experimentation, and using a modified trick as provided to me privately, I have determined that mounting the split dampers as shown below fits the tank perfectly and takes the side to side wiggle out of the tank and also helps support the vertical loads. I am fairly confident that this is where the factory intended them to go. I have seen photos of KZ's with this placement and I did see one ZN photo showing this location. This location corresponds to location "A" in my tank photo shown here also.

However, this leaves the back of the tank largely unsupported except for the metal prong that, as you can see from the photo, has failed in the past. That poor tang has to try to prevent tank wiggle and it is not strong enough to do this in the long haul. So I cannot help but wonder if the Kawi quantity listing for the split rubber dampers is incorrect and should be 4 instead of two, or maybe even 5. Two of the extra dampers would go exactly where you suggested which is location "C". Also, I found evidence of another damper mounted on the centre frame tube, near the middle of the tank which corresponds to location "D" on the tank. Note that at A, B, C and D the tank looks to be intentionally shaped to accomodate the size and shape of the split rubber dampers.

By the way it was Joe at MotorcycleID who sent me a message suggesting wetting the tank and using chalk to see what contact is made and I thank Joe for that tip. What I did was smear grease on the tank locations and then mounted the tank with the dampers in various locations to see if contact was made. My current theory is that I need 2 dampers at "A" and two dampers at C. If anyone with a ZN1100 ever has their tank off, it would be great if they would share what they find.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Unless you are trying to build a high level concourse competition machine I believe common sense should prevail. The goal, stop metal to metal contact and destructive vibration. Position the rubber isolators where you think best but this does not stop you from adding additional isolators. Do whatever is necessary to isolate the tank from contact with the frame.

·
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
New rubber dampers have been ordered. I understand from other ZN owners that the metal prong on the tank is prone to cracking and leaking. I think not having any bolts to hold the tank down, and instead relying on the friction fit between the prong and its rubber receptacle, was a mistake. I note the ZN700 uses bolts.

Anyway the extra dampers should relieve a lot of the stress from the prong. A new tank is $837 USD, so a couple of dampers is cheap insurance.

·
Registered
243 Posts
My GPZ used a central rubber with a protruding piece on the tank. Weak and inadequate but there is nothing stopping you from extensive application of rubber and or foam to prevent metal to metal contact. Best part of this approach is that it can not be seen. As I said other than strict adherence to concourse rules there is no down side.

·
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is the exact same as mine. I looked up the part number for your 92075B and it is the same. But what fits into it? Is it a metal prong welded to the tank like mine, or is the rubber 92075A as shown below for 1981 GPZ 550.

·
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
By the way, a sliced up hollow pool noodle fits slot "D" in the tank quite nicely when it is fitted to the central frame tube.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Where the above tank has a hole there would be an extension that has bulge. though it is more flat than round and much larger it works much like a side panel tab and grommet.

·
Registered
243 Posts
on the GPZ 92075A fit into a tab welded to the back of the tank. When the seat closed it rested on top of the tab and isolator preventing the tank from pulling up. The mounting system uses no hold down bolts so I suppose in a crash the tank could rotate around the forward round mounting rubbers pulling the barbed piece out of the rubber Tab at rear tank and under seat would prevent that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts