Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any thoughts, opinions, or suggestions on a good way to lock the stock saddlebags on the 900LT? They aren't quick detach (BTW, any thoughts on how to make them quick detach?). I'm not looking for a foolproof system, but if I'm ever on the road with something semi-valuable there, it would be nice to be able to secure them while I go into a restaurant or some other place.

·
Registered
12,874 Posts
Never found a solution to locking the bags themselves. However, you can find saddlebag liners! When we take a trip and know we will have "good" stuff in the bags, we use the liners. That way when we get to the motel or whatever for the night, we can easily take the liners out and carry them into the room with us.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a good idea. Sure beats taking stuff out by the handful.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mr. Clean, that's a nice set. I'll have to add it to my list.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Any thoughts, opinions, or suggestions on a good way to lock the stock saddlebags on the 900LT? They aren't quick detach (BTW, any thoughts on how to make them quick detach?). I'm not looking for a foolproof system, but if I'm ever on the road with something semi-valuable there, it would be nice to be able to secure them while I go into a restaurant or some other place.
Yes. Do what I did and buy Leatherlykes, and put the LT bags away.

Cheers!

John

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
No leatherlykes for me. The stock bags look good and work well. The liner is a good idea. Or maybe just get some type of little lock that will secure the straps. Anything I'm going to carry and leave there won't be worth 1/2 what leatherlykes cost.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I just use trash bags for liners, you know those that you can stuff full and they don't break. I just take them out at the motel and they also keep everything dry.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hiya El Zorro.
I had considered making the stock LT bags lockable. Though they would not be thief proof (no bags are), I thought that some sort of lock set up would keep honest people honest.
My thought was to use two U bolts, each near a strap, braced from inside the bag, and runs a chain through the front of the bag. It would not look so good, but it would provide the appearance of the bags being locked.
I ended up going with the LeatherLykes like OutaMyVulcanmind.
When I go to sell my 900, I will put the other bags back on.
No matter what you end up doing - it is so much more convenient having lockable bags.
I am saving my lunch money up for the trunk, and I will be all set in the luggage department.
With a lockable trunk, I could stuff my Aerostich suit in there when I arrive at a destination.
Lockable storage makes the 900 a perfect commuter bike.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
NuBiker, I agree with you that the bags won't ever be thief proof. I don't plan to carry and leave anything of value on a regular basis, but as you say, it's good to keep honest people honest, and reducing temptation is one way to do it. I'll look at the bags some more and if I come up with a brilliant plan I'll post it here.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
What NuBiker said.

Remember, you were also looking for a way to quick disconnect the bags (as was I). Byt the time you factor in lockability and quick removing brackets, the Leatherlykes don't seem so expensive. And like NuBiker mentioned, you can always put the factory bags back on when you sell it (along with the seat and the rest of the stuff that really wasn't so great in the LT package). In fact, the best part of the LT package was the two-tone paint and the extra year's warranty. IMO.

Cheers!

John

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree with you about the paint and warranty. Had the regular Vulcan come in two tone and w/the extra warranty I would have gotten one and added the stuff later.

·
Living the Dream!
200 Posts
Homemade solution

I've come accross a method I'm going to try over the winter to convert mine stock LT bags to locking bags. I found this while researching this subject:

I've found places to order the necessary hardware to mount myself. I'm going to do 2 per bag. I'm going to try to order a set of at least 6 lock keyed alike so I can add a bag/trunk to the luggage rack and not have to carry additional keys using the same method. Will keep you poset as I make progress.

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
LT, I don't see a link in your post.

·
Living the Dream!
200 Posts
The locking mechanism is from a set of Harley Davidson bags I came across online. My plan is to convert mine using a similar method. Have to get the necessary hardware and tools and then some free time. Fortunately I will be able to bring the bags inside to work on them when I'm ready. It's cold outside :eek:

·
Registered
591 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
LT, give me a holler when you get it done. I'd like to know how it went and how it looks when it's completed.

·
VROC #25645
831 Posts
I have a similar idea, but on the straps... going to play with it this winter, as well. We'll see what everyone comes up with, eh?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts