Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think I know what this means but I want to make sure.....there must be a way that you can "lock your forks" with you key they won't turn right??? is this common practice??? do riders do this normally when parking their ride?? I heard the term but wasn't quite sure....any feedback????

·
2007 900 Classic
2,517 Posts
I can remember to lock mine, but i always forget to unlock them before I start the bike, so i have to shut if off, unlock them and start the bike again. Kinda embarassing so I stopped locking them.

·
Warning V2k Onboard
1,585 Posts
Some bikes have the lock built into the ignition switch, others have a separate keyhole in the head stem.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Some bikes have the lock built into the ignition switch, others have a separate keyhole in the head stem.
Yeah the Vulcan I got has it on the forks somewhere.....the previous owner said something bout it but I wasn't paying attention...hahhaha........I think your supposed to turn the forks and engage it then turn the key....something like that........

·
Warning V2k Onboard
1,585 Posts
Turn the forks fully to the left or right depending on the lock, this will expose the keyhole properly, put the key in and turn it, you may need to turn the forks back slightly to allow the key to turn, both to lock and unlock.

Be sure to unlock before trying to ride. Make it a habit to turn your handle bars to check before riding off. Same problem as a Disk lock.
A disk lock goes on the brake disk to stop the bike from being easily wheeled away, but if you ride off with it you go a foot or so and then hit a wall.

·
MaNaMaNa DoDoDoDoDo
4,767 Posts
I lock mine anytime I go someplace where I can't see my parked bike. Too many bikes get stolen these days.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Turn the forks fully to the left or right depending on the lock, this will expose the keyhole properly, put the key in and turn it, you may need to turn the forks back slightly to allow the key to turn, both to lock and unlock.

Be sure to unlock before trying to ride. Make it a habit to turn your handle bars to check before riding off. Same problem as a Disk lock.
A disk lock goes on the brake disk to stop the bike from being easily wheeled away, but if you ride off with it you go a foot or so and then hit a wall.
Ah good looking out playa.....now this was informational! thanks!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I lock mine if I am going in some place and can't see my bike. But like everyone else I forget to unlock them most of the time. Luckily at work we have bike parking and it is in view of security all the time so I don't lock it.

·
TV Guru
11,779 Posts
Since my lock is part of the key switch (and I turn my forks to the left when I put it on the stand, anyway), I always lock them.

Fork locks are not that hard to break, but it's better than nothing.

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
On my ninja I have to unlock the forks to start it(seeing as the key is <Lock><Off><On>) and I always remember all the time ive put into working to own this bike and NEVER forget to lock the forks.

But I had the same problem RicDaRuler. I wasnt paying attention to the talking, I was just listening to the bike call my name softly offering chocolate and a candlit dinner with a lot of ride time. But I figured out I turn them all the way to the left then back up a bit until the key turns all the way.

·
The Bassman Rocketh
25,244 Posts
I'll lock mine if it is goin' to be outta my sight for any length of time. Remembering to unlock them *before* starting the bike is always the hardest part

·
Back in Black
30 Posts
Yes the lock is located on the right side of the bike.Just turn the handlebars to the left and you should see the little lock on the frame.I just got a 1600 vulcan classic,first time rider and I am loving it!!! I would suggest to always lock the forks.

·
Vicrory is Mine
2,489 Posts
If I am spending the night at a hotel I will lock my forks. Otherwise I just park next to a Harley.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
On my ninja I have to unlock the forks to start it(seeing as the key is <Lock><Off><On>) and I always remember all the time ive put into working to own this bike and NEVER forget to lock the forks.

But I had the same problem RicDaRuler. I wasnt paying attention to the talking, I was just listening to the bike call my name softly offering chocolate and a candlit dinner with a lot of ride time. But I figured out I turn them all the way to the left then back up a bit until the key turns all the way.
I can't imagine why some people thought you were a chick.... :p

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
Hey! Im very in touch with my feminine side to the point of actually posting once in the female section :) But no, im pretty masucline everywhere except the internet....and when I take bubble baths

1 - 20 of 22 Posts