Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been offered to go along with a few adventurous bmw gs riders on my first cross country trip this summer so I figure I'll need a more powerful bike than my Ninja 250 and gotta keep it kinda low budget i.e... looking to go cheaper than a vstrom or versy but haven't decided.

Considering a used Ninja 500 for the cross country trip but only been on one years ago and that was on a few short rides.

Has anyone made distances like 600 to 800 mile days on a Ninja 500 loaded up with camping gear? I'm a concerned with it loaded up the Ninja 500 would not have enough power to get away from big trucks on the highway? I'm 6'1 - 240 lbs - and in fair shape with about 3,000 local miles under my belt... is this even realistic to consider doing on a Ninja 500?

·
Registered
533 Posts
for many, many years a 500 was considered a large bike... so, from a get up and go basis yeah you could easily do it... but, comfort that might be another matter...could you handle that position for 10-12 hrs a day??? that would be my only concern...I put 600 miles a day for 5days on a honda 500 in 1985 Ft. Ord Ca. to Ft. Lewis Wa. and back to LA

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ya I keep commin back to long haul comfort too.

Good to know that the Ninja 500 should be capable of making a safe buffer though.

Thanks davidcl

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Riding position should be great on a KLR650 and I like the aftermarket/maintenance side. But I've got the impression that a loaded KLR650 wouldn't have enough power to pull away from a fast moving semi-truck on those mid western highways. No personal experience on one here so I really don't know.

Good thought though.

·
Non Omnis Moriar
7,812 Posts
The power nad performance of the 500 would be plenty but I think the guys are right about it possibly being a little un-comfy after a few hours.

How 'bout a 650R with a gel saddle?

·
Registered
798 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the power of the 500, there is plenty of it for highway traffic. I would be more concerned with comfort, that many hours on a 500 and your butt would be numb or worse. If you do decide to go with a 500, Corbin makes a seat for the 500 that should make it alot better.

Tim

·
US Submarine Force Vet
66 Posts
My concern would also be comfort. I'm 6' @ 190 and got a little cramped after a few hours on my 1000R with a corbin saddle.

Keith

·
Addicted to riding…
1,892 Posts
+1 for the saddle

I havent done that many miles on my 500 in a day but I if I were I would get the bars a bit more upright.

Still considering getting risers

NINJA 500 BAR RISERS [8024 NINJA 500 RISERS] - $69.98 : Motorcyclelarry.com

IMO, has enough power, fuel efficient and decent seating postition.
I haven't done many miles in a day either, but I would think with plenty of rest breaks you'll be fine. Are your buddies hot to put lots of miles in each day, or is it more of a sightseeing trip, in which case you will have room for taking breaks?

I also am considering getting a Corbin seat, but shaving down the funky upswept part between rider and passenger seats) and recovering it with some cushy padded marine vinyl.

We're considering riding up to Montana this summer and I have a 500, too, so I'll be curious to swap ride stories with you.

·
Pierogi Rider
22 Posts
the 500 has enough power, but the buzziness at interstate speeds will contribute to fatigue when doing that many miles. I've done 500 miles in a day on a '82 Yamaha 400. Wear some padded bike shorts and see if you can find a foam pad (considering you're wanting to save cash here) or something 'extra' to sit on while you ride. Will you be as comfortable as a guy on a BMW or Goldwing? Hell no, but you'll be fine.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
I took my old 500R on several long trips. The longest being to San Antonio Texas. 12 hours or so in one day. I didn't have a problem

1 - 15 of 15 Posts