Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seriousley considering on riding from Phoenix, Arizona to Laguna Seca for the Superbike Classic Race July 9-11.......this will be my first very long ride (with 2 others) in some frickn hot weather!!

Need to know:
Type of clothing gear
Type of luggage gear
And any suggestions for this type of ride.

Thanks guys and gals!! :wink:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Can't help with the luggage suggestions Ninjagirl, but as for what to wear...

It gets pretty bloody hot over here but I always wear my leather jacket, with just a tshirt under and jeans. For a long trip, I'd fully leather up and have a tshirt, and some thin cotton leggins under my pants (cause its way more comfortable than leather pants alone).

If you wanna risk it, go jeans tho, cause the stinkin sun beating down on black leather burns your **** thighs!!!

DriRider have got an Air Mesh jacket now as well, dunno if you wanna be spending the cash tho, and dunno if you can get them over there. I know some courier riders who wear them in the summer to work around the city all day, and they swear by them.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Packing light

When you travel ALL the time you learn that wrinkle free clothes are the best way to go. Wash and dry overnight or by using the dryer, or in front of the air-conditioner. Riding clothes aside underwear, socks and a skirt/trowsers, blouse/shirt, and a pair of dress shoes all pack real tight when you fold and then roll them up real tight and placed either in a backpack to the rear seat or in a tank bag. Riding clothes can be washed each night if they are washable. Leather gets extremely hot unless it has vents which can be opened and the liners removed. Cotton levi's work great, but wear cotton not nylon because it will MELT into your skin should you have a meeting with the road. White, gray, pink, anything but black, or a dark color. I can hear the comuter keyboards clicking as I tell you this...I wear leather in town, but I wear cotton on the open road. It can be washed, it's cheap to replace...should youneed any clothes when you get there buy them and then send them back to your home address before you leave so that you don't have to overload/crowd yourself on the return trip. Goatskin jackets are okay for cross country riding...they protect you, but dry cleaning and treating is expensive...AIR-MESH jackets are okay too, but I've been down at 90MPH on the track when we were allowed to wear Levi Jackets...I had NO road rash, but it ruined the jacket and pants...

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

with only 3 riders its not that big a deal but you'll find if you equip yourselves
with nady 2way radios on a long ride like that you'll actually have a safer ride,
with everyone knowing who's gonna stop for fuel or has to go pee :lol:
you stay in tighter group and take advantage of saftey in numbers :wink:

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Re: re

bikeaholic said:
with only 3 riders its not that big a deal but you'll find if you equip yourselves
with nady 2way radios on a long ride like that you'll actually have a safer ride,
with everyone knowing who's gonna stop for fuel or has to go pee :lol:
you stay in tighter group and take advantage of saftey in numbers :wink:
Well its now 100 degrees here already, and I am hatin' it!! I am big on safety so I have all my gear on, and sweatin' like a dog!! Not sure if I can make this long ride in the heat after all!! :roll: Will see.

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
heat virs savty

I have riden across country twice. once two up and once alone. road burn hearts alot more than being hot. My wife and I bouth ride in full gear. except I do not wear chaps, just cotten long jhons and jeans. We lived in Exmouth Westren Australia for four years . avrage temp 120% F That is the only place i could not take the heat of my black leather jacket. it was denim jacket and cotten longsleve shirt while over there. The most emportant thing is to be safe and acheave the most comfort while doing so. O Yes, if you do not have a crouse controal on your bike You might look into one. After staying on the throttle all day your right hand tends to first cramp up and then lose felling altogether. I will try to get my wife to wright you also. she has been riding for 38 years now.She wore out a BMW R80RT. She can fill you in on all the girl gear that works and what not to get... good luck stay safe. God bless.....Mack ..P.S forgive my spelling.

·
Motorcycle Momma
839 Posts
Riding Gear

:D Ninja Girl, If I am riding, I always wear at least a demin jacket, a pair of jeans, a good pair of boots, gloves and helmet. It is very important to have a good comfortable pair of gloves. I have two pairs of gloves...one lightweight pair for summer and a pair of insulated guantlet style gloves for winter. :lol: I ride to and from work most days (140 miles round trip) all interstate. I wear full leathers (jacket and chaps) in that case.....my jacket has a zip out lining for warm weather use. If you check out some bike shops you can find some of the lightweight riding gear, but the price tag is usually pretty steep. Leather is much cheaper.

Mack mentioned a cruise control...that is VERY helpful on long rides. Prevents numbness and cramping from holding the throttle open for hours at a time. Don't know if the new bikes come with it or not. :)

I also wear a silk scarf under my helmet to keep my hair from getting all tangled up. It also makes putting my helmet on alot smoother

A pair of saddle bags would work very well for the trip. I don't like carrying anything on my back or on my tank. If you are planning to camp out find a sleeping bag that will roll small and a good two man tent. I have a little propane single burner cook stove that is perfect for bike trips.

Good luck and Safe Riding. Let us know how everything goes :D :D

Heather

1 - 7 of 7 Posts