Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I'm gonna catch heck for this, but I figured I'd ask. I've got long hair (down to my shoulder blades. I tie it up in a ponytail when I ride. Even with bands about an inch from the tip it gets tangled. I wear a full fface helmet, too. Anyway, my question is how do ya'll handle your hair when you're riding? My ex took almost an hour to untangle it after my last day trip.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
My wife wears what she calls a "hair condom"

I'm having trouble finding one online, but it's a spring hair clip with a leather ornament, and a thin, stretchy fabric tube hangs from it.

You can stretch it over your hand to grab your ponytail and pull it through... completely covers even long tails.

The clip might be uncomfortable under a FF helmet... dunno... I don't have that problem ;)

·
Registered
823 Posts
I'd be interested in seeing the answers to this also!

·
Registered
12,874 Posts
Rich, that sounds so interesting!!! I hope you can find one online!!!
I just use the standard ponytail method myself, and sometimes with the leather cover that goes around your ponytail and snaps closed.

·
Banned
880 Posts
mine used to be nearly to my waist, id sinch it up like a normal pony tail then double it over and do that again so its doubled back on itsself. Thats all i know short of a hairnet of some kind.

·
... at the old, ballgame!
1,061 Posts
Here's an idea a friend used:

1. Tie off your ponytail at least every 3 or 4 inches, from the nape of your neck right down to the end.

2. Tuck your ponytail down inside the back of your shirt.

·
Registered
6,644 Posts
Yeah, it does happen though surprisingly my hair doesn't seem to tangle too badly and it's down to my midback o_O.
As Rich suggests, there are these 'biker' ponytail holders (hahaha I like hair condoms though b/c that really does sum them up) that go over the ponytail. I ocassionally see them in dealerships (I bet the HD dealer would sell them, as they tend to look more 'cruiser' style than sport). You could try that b/c certainly I bet it would help.
The other idea is to use a scarf or bandana and try to wrap it around the ponytail... never tried this myself but have seen it on other female riders.

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
I've found that two bands on my ponytail makes a huge difference--one at the top and one at the bottom. A braid works well, too. Do you wear a helmet? The combination of a helmet and using at least two bands on my ponytail keeps my hair (which is quite long right now) from getting tangled. I make sure I buy the type of bands that won't slide off my hair. I've had some fly off in the middle of a ride (the smooth ones). They make special bands that have little rubbery grippy things on them that won't come off easily.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Mine is not super long but I tuck it inside of my jacket. Sometimes it does escape and tangle a little. I also wear a full face helmet so that probably helps as well.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Just asked my wife what she does other than the hair condom....

She massages in Nexus Humectress into her hair (it's a leave-in conditioner) and then braids it.

That keeps it from drying out... worked very well on our ride to the Grand Canyon... she was the only one in the group without the frizzies.

Pictures of the "hair condom" to follow... it's not at all "cruiser" style.

Edit: Okay, here it is... this is one of the shorter ones... it's available in either 2 or 3 lengths... the long one is probably close to 18-24"

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
I have some scissors you can borrow. :D
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Too many wimmins on TV going for the "bob" again.

Bobber bikes are cool.

·
AKA Gravel Girl <Lola>
3,955 Posts
When I do a ponytail (on a short ride) I'll use a hair glove.

If I'm doing a long ride...braids. Personally braids are my favorite cuz I NEVER tangle.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the replies everybody. I really appreciate the pics of the "glove" Rich. I'll see what I can find online. Guess I could learn how to braid... Anybody in Northwest GA wanna show me how? ;-) Thanks again.
Chris

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
ok folks if you do cut your hair and take off more than 8 inches, send it in to locks for love!!! thats what we do with ours lol tommy cut his and we sent in 9 inches on his and my daughter has done hers 3 times now in nashvlle where she lives at. shes made 3 wigs for some lucky little girls. you can find the web page at www.locksforlove.com thanks and be safe!! oh and rich where did she buy those at? lol

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
oh and rich where did she buy those at? lol
A biker place in Calimesa called "Buckle and Belts"... super nice lady runs the shop and gives a 10% discount to our riding club members.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Did a search for these to see if you can get them in the U.S., it appears that you can.

Hair Glove

1 - 20 of 97 Posts