Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was given a 1980 750 ltd that had not ran in 8 years. After oil change, spark plugs and some gas I got it to crank up. The gas was drained before it sat for years, but I still think the carbs. are a little dirty because it will not stay running. I am planning to turn this into a cafe racer style bike, but need some help. I am in the Atlanta area and need someone to check out the carbs. and maybe re-jet them for me. If anyone knows of a place that could possibly help it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much....I hope to post process pictures up.

Matt

·
Registered
147 Posts
I was given a 1980 750 ltd that had not ran in 8 years. After oil change, spark plugs and some gas I got it to crank up. The gas was drained before it sat for years, but I still think the carbs. are a little dirty because it will not stay running. I am planning to turn this into a cafe racer style bike, but need some help. I am in the Atlanta area and need someone to check out the carbs. and maybe re-jet them for me. If anyone knows of a place that could possibly help it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much....I hope to post process pictures up.

Matt
Marietta Motorsports

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cool thanks guys....if i need new carbs. are there any suggestions? i would like to run the pod filters with some rejetting.

·
Eddie Lawson is God!
5,683 Posts
Matt, welcome to the forum. Now I'm going to tell you why running pod filters on your CV carbs are a bad idea. Because your carburetors need the vacuum created by the airbox to lift the slides. Now on this forum, there are two major controversies, whether to run pod filters and whether to use motorcycle specific oil.

You'll be MUCH happier with the stock airbox, it'll run WAY BETTER!

Also, with KZ550-650-750 (four) the valve shims are located UNDER the buckets, and NEVER get done. Adjust to LOOSE side of tolerance. It's a PITA, but the bike is worth the effort.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks...this is my first foreign bike ever and it was given to me after a family death. I have always had buells and harleys. actually i am building a buell chopper right now too. any advice that i can get to get this 750 running good will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
Depending on the VIN#, it was probably manufactured in Nebraska!

Let us know how it goes, we will try and help.

·
Eddie Lawson is God!
5,683 Posts
How much of that Buell are you gonna have left over? I am building THE SPORTSTER FROM HELL now.

A rejet on those Kawasaki CV carbs aint the #29 drill,6048W washer, 45 pilot and 165 main a sporty carb gets.:lol: If you saw a Sportster CV and a KLR650 CV the only difference is the cast in bar and shield.

Mark the HD wrench.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
actually the only thing left of the buell is the original frame, seat, gas tank, and rear fender. i already built it once in 3.5 days and drove it to biketoberfest in daytona. now it is being rebuilt again so i can paint it and make it all clean.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
haha i just noticed you have a white lightning....i actually use and 1998 s-1 white lightning for my build.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts