Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just want to start off with saying hi.
been going through the boards posted, and anything relating to the 250r and really can't find much info on how long the standard motor would last. the reason i ask, is i know when i do buy my bike i will be totally addicted, and probably end up racking miles on it, plus i will be driving it back and forth to work everyday.
my question is what is the usual time that the motors begin developing milage related problems. has any one done some serious long distance driving like 500-600 miles a day, again i would like to know some of the limitations these bikes have that are associated with lots of driving.

oh btw...this is assuming someone follows the maintance schedules.

·
Registered
605 Posts
A bike can last as long as you want/need it to. My older bro still loves his 250 and the fact that he has 180,000 miles on it says it all. He has done 800 mile trips with me to SD, just follow your schedule and do a little more to it every now and then

·
Registered
48 Posts
Techincally, any engine will last forever, if you take care of it.

I'm a former mechanical engineer (aircraft industry, till 9/11..then Boeing let me go :S) and I can tell you that with regular attention and maintenance, they'll just keep going and going and going.....

well...you get the idea.

I've got a first-year 250 ninja with 218k miles on it, and it's all down to basic maintenance. Easy as pie, and worthwhile to do. Bike still revs to 14k, and with the few mods I've done, will pull 120 easy (and documented)

Go for it. Take care of it. Ride it forever. :):)

Cheers

Spoone

(oh..and for folks who wonder about my emt thing, I did that to pay for my engineering degree...)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
also was would like to know what some are the characteristics of the Ninja 250r would be? stuff like: do they like to be shifted hard, get squirrelly at top speeds, stuff like that. not just pros but cons as well, the more info the better.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Well I have ridden a '04 250R for 2700 miles. I don't think it "likes" to be shifted hard, but I tend to shift smoothly, and that works fine so far. Riding above 80mph (according to the speedometer) is fine, no squirrelly behavior that I can detect.

The stock tires are crap. The stock suspension is worthless if you want to race competatively.
The engine does last "forever" as I've read on http://www.ninja250.net/ (80k+).
It's old and outdated bodystyle is bad if you need to look cool on the bike, but I don't care. I get about 60mpg with my 250lb frame crouched on it. I can't really find a lot of bad qualities to the bike. Except if you really have to have a big motor and big horsepower, then don't get one.

I suppose another qualifier would be if you weigh over 340lbs (weight limit of the bike) don't buy one.

Hope that helps...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nope my skinny 145 Lbs ass should be just fine for riding. i rather like the looks of the bike, in my opinion, best looking sportbike for beginners, even compared to the 500r.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
250R

Just make sure you invest in good gear and great security system for it...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yea still looking over dozens of websites at the different kinds of gloves, jackets, helmets, even boots. the thing i want the most is a jacket that looks like its made nothing but of armor. as for everything else...well that just comes down to test wearing locally and seeing what is avaiable online.

·
Registered
16 Posts
newenough.com has really good deals on all sorts of gear. I also suggest helmetharbor.com. Spend as much as you can on gear, you won't be thinking of the money you saved when they are waterpicking gravel out of your skin! It looks like you are playing it smart by getting the 250 and looking at gear already. Enjoy the ride.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts