Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Yeah, the cheap chinese hi low single bulb setups are 140, I dont want to know about this guy lol

EDIT: Ohh it's a combo HID and halogen. Makes sense now I suppose.

·
RideOrDieWarren
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Its funny how people talk about cheap chinese stuff when the majority of stuff bought in the US is made in China (Taiwan), or India, or some other third world country.

Take winches for 4x4's for example. There are many brands and some state made in the US, except they dont tell you about their standard line is made in China.

Where do you think all the name brand stuff is made?

·
Premium Member
2,408 Posts
Deff. In Asia no doubt... but there is a difference between cheap Asian stuff and expensive Asian stuff.... there is a reason why its cheap.... or maybe its just a good deal..... but i kinda doubt it.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
The OEM HID setups are either made in Germany or Japan. And retail at about 5 times what Chinese bulbs/ignitors/ballasts do.

Hence, cheap chinese components. Doesn't mean they don't work well.

The average American consumer doesn't realize that 95% of cheap consumer goods are made overseas and for that matter, they don't care as long as the price is low enough. Meaning retail owners get richer and more jobs get outsourced.

It seems that something has to command a premium price in order for it to be assembled locally and that's the problem with retail.

·
RideOrDieWarren
652 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Exactly.

So do we pay $1000 for a kit, or find something else for $80 that does the practically the same thing.

A coworker just bought an iPhone "Chinese Version." It isnt an iPhone but it didnt cost $600 either, plus it does what he wants.

·
Registered
270 Posts
XenonLink.com HID Conversion Kit.

Really thinking about getting this setup, especially for the price and free shipping. Replacement bubs are $40, and they are Hi/Low.
I suggest this one instead:
XenonLink.com HID Conversion Kit.

I do have it and it works pretty well.Also, I would get the 5k-4k HIDs, are those are brightest.
If you're looking for blue colored tint, then go higher. But they will not be as bright, and will be more obvious to cops that you have an illegal after market lightbulb.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Exactly.

So do we pay $1000 for a kit, or find something else for $80 that does the practically the same thing.

A coworker just bought an iPhone "Chinese Version." It isnt an iPhone but it didnt cost $600 either, plus it does what he wants.
Originally what we were saying, was that 80 dollars seems to be "too cheap". I was pricing hi/low single bulb kits (with the mechanism to change the light position for hi/low) for about 150, and the same thing without the mechanism (i.e. JUST a low beam) for 100 dollars.

Since you get what you pay for (usually) and the 150 dollar kit was already chinese manufactured, I was leery about how poorly made an 80 dollar kit is.

But it makes sense to me now because it's a "low" HID and a "high" halogen.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Sylvania is just the brand of bulb it comes with.
+1...
AFAIK, Sylvania/Osram and Welch Allyn are the only two companies making HID bulbs.

The quality problem is going to be with the ballast, and with an improperly functioning ballast, it won't work and can damage the bulb.

For $80, I wouldn't touch it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.