Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Patriot Guardian
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so some of you might know me from the other forums on the site but if not i'm Kevin and i currently own a 05 ZX6R. I'm not planning on selling her but i do want to get a bike that is a tad bit more comfortable for 2 up riding with me and the wife. Here's where we get to the questions. What bike would you suggest, as cruiser experienced riders, for a sport bike rider looking to convert to cruiser? Also, i have never been in control of a cruiser, sat on the back of them when i was a kid but never actually had the bar in my hand and the pedals under my feet. Is there a huge difference to the point i'll have to learn to ride all over again? I have about 11,000 miles of riding the ZX6R so i'm slightly new but not completely new to riding. Ok so some bullets on what i'm looking for in a cruiser.

- Comfortable riding for 3 to 4 hour stretches while 2 up.
- Saddle bags that can hold 2 days worth of clothes for 2 people
- possible trunk thingy or does that take away the pass. seat?
- Used or New but dont want to spend more than 8,000 ideally 5000
- Want the power to be able to get out of situations but doesn't need to be 1600
- Styling wise i would want something geared more towards comfort than cosmetics
- It has to be kawasaki of course mainly because i trust the dealership and i know them, that and i know kawasaki makes a great product and dont want to experiment with anyone else.
- Doesn't have to be too loud but would like a deep tone if possible

If there is anything else you would or did consider when buying your cruiser any information will be appreciated and taken to heart since you are the experts in this not me. Thanks for peeking in and happy riding to those who can and hang in there to those who can't! :p

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
ok so some of you might know me from the other forums on the site but if not i'm Kevin and i currently own a 05 ZX6R. I'm not planning on selling her but i do want to get a bike that is a tad bit more comfortable for 2 up riding with me and the wife. Here's where we get to the questions. What bike would you suggest, as cruiser experienced riders, for a sport bike rider looking to convert to cruiser? Also, i have never been in control of a cruiser, sat on the back of them when i was a kid but never actually had the bar in my hand and the pedals under my feet. Is there a huge difference to the point i'll have to learn to ride all over again? I have about 11,000 miles of riding the ZX6R so i'm slightly new but not completely new to riding. Ok so some bullets on what i'm looking for in a cruiser.

- Comfortable riding for 3 to 4 hour stretches while 2 up.
- Saddle bags that can hold 2 days worth of clothes for 2 people
- possible trunk thingy or does that take away the pass. seat?
- Used or New but dont want to spend more than 8,000 ideally 5000
- Want the power to be able to get out of situations but doesn't need to be 1600
- Styling wise i would want something geared more towards comfort than cosmetics
- It has to be kawasaki of course mainly because i trust the dealership and i know them, that and i know kawasaki makes a great product and dont want to experiment with anyone else.
- Doesn't have to be too loud but would like a deep tone if possible

If there is anything else you would or did consider when buying your cruiser any information will be appreciated and taken to heart since you are the experts in this not me. Thanks for peeking in and happy riding to those who can and hang in there to those who can't! :p
Sounds like a candidate for a 1500 Nomad to me, or look around for a 2004 1600 Nomad......they can be had for between 5000 - 7000 if you looks around now. Not in the spring.

·
Patriot Guardian
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like a candidate for a 1500 Nomad to me, or look around for a 2004 1600 Nomad......they can be had for between 5000 - 7000 if you looks around now. Not in the spring.
I sat on one of those at a kawa dealership... it felt really uh large. lol I'm 6'2 180 lbs will i be ok on this bike or is it too much?

·
Giant Biker
2,323 Posts
Well, based on your wants----I would say you need to look for a used 1500/1600 Classic and equip it the way you want. You sound like you are describing a Nomad, but I doubt you will find too many of those in the price range you mention.

Lets say you find a nice used 1500 Classic for around $5k, add windshield ($300), soft bags ($200-$500 depending on what you want), and you can do the sissy bar with bag ($500 or so total) or you can go with one of the aftermarket trunks, or custom work a used HD trunk. Either way probably $500-$1000. Total is around $7k--so you still have room for aftermarket exhaust, etc. and still stay in the $8k budget.

A 900LT might work for you, but you won't see too many used ones yet, they are too new. So that is a little out of the range.

I don't think you will need to learn to ride all over, but you will need to shift your expectations of how the bike feels. Compared to your sportbike, any cruiser is going to feel pretty sluggish om both pwer and braking.

As far as things to consider----The big thing is to decide how you plan to ride. then go sit on everything in your price range and decide which will provide the comfort you want with the utility you need.

·
Patriot Guardian
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is the backrest a dealer option because when i looked it up i kept finding the bike but without a back rest... i mean i am pretty sure they sell them because if my memory serves me correctly then the bike i sat on had one. lol

·
Giant Biker
2,323 Posts
I sat on one of those at a kawa dealership... it felt really uh large. lol I'm 6'2 180 lbs will i be ok on this bike or is it too much?
No such thing as too large. Its because you are comparing it to your sportbike---every cruiser will feel large.

There are much smaller guys than you riding Nomads and 2000's.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
The 900 is a great bike, but you would need to change the seat to a mustang or corbin or even a Kawa gel seat for more comfort. Also some have change the front pully, I haven't as it hasn't worried me. Otherwise as I said great bike on highway doing 110k/68mph or in and around the city.

·
Giant Biker
2,323 Posts
Is the backrest a dealer option because when i looked it up i kept finding the bike but without a back rest... i mean i am pretty sure they sell them because if my memory serves me correctly then the bike i sat on had one. lol
Passenger backrest is an optional accessory or aftermarket
add on for most bikes. The Nomad and the 900/2000 LT models come with the passenger backrest.

·
Vulcan 800 Classic
292 Posts
I would think you could get away with a Vulcan 900....You'll ahve to get an aftermarket seat for sure.... I don't have a nomad but alot of people love those bikes for long distance riding... I just have a 800 and im about the same size as you... 6'0 170lbs. It bike is alittle small for my legs, but Its a fun ride and go two up all the time... Take it camping. Get a luggage rack and bag to go on it and you'll have plenty of space for clothes for 2 days. I have my two small saddlebags and my bag on the luggage rack and I have plenty of space for clothes for 2 for the weekend, and camping gear. Tent sleeping bags ect.... Just gotta know how to pack it lol!

·
Own The Day
2,809 Posts
I'm biased, but the 900 has always been a great bike to me (then again, that's the only sizable cruiser I've ever owned. ;) ). However, the LT does seem to fit the bill for many of the bullet points you listed.

- The seat would be the number one thing to replace, based on popular opinion, if you're looking for comfort.- Comes with saddlebags.
- I've seen rear trunks being offered by Corbin (albeit pricey), and rack-equipped sissy bars are also available.
- Recently, an '06 900LT with 6,000 miles went for sale locally in the mid-$6K range. For reference purpose, new standard '07 900s in my neighboorhood are going out-the-door for $250 under MSRP.
- Power on the 900, at least IMHO, is more than adequate. Cruising in the 80, with reserve for passing, range is typical for me.
- Personally, I like the styling.
- Mais bien sur tis a Kawi. :)
- I've always found the exhaust note to be adequate. It's rather quiet at idle, but lets itself be known when the throttle is opened up.

Hope this helps.

·
Patriot Guardian
2,469 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, based on your wants----I would say you need to look for a used 1500/1600 Classic and equip it the way you want. You sound like you are describing a Nomad, but I doubt you will find too many of those in the price range you mention.

Lets say you find a nice used 1500 Classic for around $5k, add windshield ($300), soft bags ($200-$500 depending on what you want), and you can do the sissy bar with bag ($500 or so total) or you can go with one of the aftermarket trunks, or custom work a used HD trunk. Either way probably $500-$1000. Total is around $7k--so you still have room for aftermarket exhaust, etc. and still stay in the $8k budget.

A 900LT might work for you, but you won't see too many used ones yet, they are too new. So that is a little out of the range.

I don't think you will need to learn to ride all over, but you will need to shift your expectations of how the bike feels. Compared to your sportbike, any cruiser is going to feel pretty sluggish om both pwer and braking.

As far as things to consider----The big thing is to decide how you plan to ride. then go sit on everything in your price range and decide which will provide the comfort you want with the utility you need.

Thanks for the advice i'll look more into it. The thing is i'm not going to be able to buy this bike until nov/dec once i return from iraq. Just want to start research into what i want now so i have some ammo when i get to the dealership and avoid that deer in head light look. lol

my plans for the bike are to take long rides to other cities across open country. If anyone knows the area what i want the bike for is to ride from Lawton Oklahoma to Dallas, and lawton to the southwest corner of Missouri. Which is where my family and my wife's family is from respectively. Which equals out to be about a 3 hour ride from Lawton to Dallas, and 4 hours from Lawton to Joplin. Of course there will be shorter rides like to the wildlife refugee which is only 10 minutes away.

·
Giant Biker
2,323 Posts
Thanks for the advice i'll look more into it. The thing is i'm not going to be able to buy this bike until nov/dec once i return from iraq. Just want to start research into what i want now so i have some ammo when i get to the dealership and avoid that deer in head light look. lol

my plans for the bike are to take long rides to other cities across open country. If anyone knows the area what i want the bike for is to ride from Lawton Oklahoma to Dallas, and lawton to the southwest corner of Missouri. Which is where my family and my wife's family is from respectively. Which equals out to be about a 3 hour ride from Lawton to Dallas, and 4 hours from Lawton to Joplin. Of course there will be shorter rides like to the wildlife refugee which is only 10 minutes away.
Well, by then you may be able to find some used 900 LT's around. I know at least around my area, you can't find them used at all, and the new ones seem to be selling fast according to what I see in the showroom.

Like others have said, the 900 is reported to be a very nice ride.

And echoing everyone else, I have yet to see an OEM cruiser seat that is actually comfortable. First thing i did with my V2K was get a Mustang seat.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Kevin, going off subject for a minute. Don't know when you go to Iraq but remember to keep your head down and come back to your family.

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
Kevin, don't let the size intimidate you, I stepped up from a Zuki VS800 Intruder to the 1600 Classic.......only the 1st two days were intimating. I'm only 5.7 and 220 (easier to jump over than walk around :lol:) and it fit me like a glove..........., with your 6.2 I think you will find the bike familiar sooner than you would think.

·
900 Customer
901 Posts
I vote Nomad. The 900 LT is probably comfortable enough, but I think coming from a sportbike you might find the power lacking. The Nomad holds a crapton more too. Might be tough to find one in that price range but you never know.

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
Or something less intimidating could be a 1500 Classic, you can find them reasonable. Only thing there is only a single disc for brakes up front......and can be a littler meager for two up in a critical situation.

·
Live Long & Prosper
556 Posts
I am 6'1", 185 lbs, and ride a Nomad. It's not too big for you. We have both a Nomad and a 900LT. I've ridden both several times - well, not the 900LT as much now that my wife has become such an avid rider. The Nomad is a much better match for your size. The 900LT is a sweet bike, but not as good a match size-wise. My wife is 5'7" and looks good on the 900LT.

·
smokey_243
105 Posts
This past summer a friend and I went to Fort Sill on our bikes, mine a 1500 Classic and his a 1600 Nomad. We left north central AR about 0800 and arrived in Lawton about 1630, rain about half the way. Neither one of us were tired and I could have certainly gone for many more hours. Both bikes are good bikes and neither bike should be considered too large for you. I'm only 5'8" and 165 lbs. I have the Protac backrest on my bike and it allows
me to go forever. Get what you like and ride like theres no tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts