Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!

I am new to the forum and riding in the states. I got my first bike in China last year (little 125cc honda knock of) and ended up falling in love and riding 10,000km from Vietnam to the top of Pakistan. (some cool pics on page 2 and 3 I think!)

Now I am back and miss being on a bike more then anything. I knew my little 125cc inside and out but looking at these larger bikes is daunting. I found this 1983 750 Spectre for $600 on craigs list and would appreciate your guys' opinions. 1983 Kawasaki Spectre 750

I talked to the owner and am stopping by at the end of the week to take a look. Apparently this bike was his son's, who is broke in college and needs the cash. The bike was running good last year, but has carb problems. I am not sure what that entails. Also the tachometer is busted up from getting dropped.

I am pretty broke now and scrounging on by GI bill but I can afford the $600 and then maybe another $300 to get the bike in shape.

Is this a good looking deal?

What would carb work and a new tach cost roundabouts if I do the work myself?

Am I going to get my *** kicked moving up from a 125 to a 750?:-D

Thanks guys!

·
The little guy said it.
17,962 Posts
Well, a couple of thoughts come to mind:

1.) The bike is 27 years old. Parts will be hard(ish) to come by, and will likely cost a little bit of money. So, unless the bike's been well cared for for its 27-year life, be leery when inspecting it.

2.) The bike was definitely not created as a little putt-putt. However, that said, if you respect the power, the bike will respect you right back.

3.) If you end up purchasing the bike, be prepared to go from one end of the bike to the other carefully to make sure that the bike is solid all around.

The only other thing I can think of is just make sure the guy doesn't want to ship the bike to you after you send him a check :D

Good luck and if you get it, I hope the best for you! It looks like a nice bike for sure.

·
The little guy said it.
17,962 Posts
Thanks for the info Donnie!

I love the look of bikes from that time, I cant see myself on anything newer.

Is there a popular site for finding parts for a bike like this?
No problem man - you are a rock star when it comes to adventure touring, you've seen some amazing sights and I thank you for linking your adventure here - that was a great photo journal.

In all honesty, I'd look in the Sportbike/Streetbike section of the forum, and also consider the Vintage section of the site, as they could give you some great help on a bike of that vintage.

Good luck in your quest!

·
Newbie Shmoobie
116 Posts
By the way...your ride report on your adventures is absolutely amazing! Kudos and I'm glad you were able to share your pics and adventures. It just proves that if you treat people the way you want to be treated, life would be a lot better on this rock!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts