Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Re: re

The body shop supply stores I deal with have a neat little device that scans the color and pops out the formula to match it. Home Depot does the same with house paint.

·
Registered
876 Posts

A GOOD body shop is the only way to go with stuff like this. Parts stores are only as good as the guy who does the mixing. At least at a good body shop, you're dealing with someone who's trained properly.

Believe it or not, OE colors are pretty tough to match correctly. Years ago I built a 1983 Ford F100 (not F150) with a 514" BBF...project deal. Anyway, I wanted it to be Yamaha blue. I pulled part of a wrecked R6's plastic and took it to ALL of the parts stores locally and not a single oen of them could come even remotely close. Lot of time wasted. Went to a few body shops, some of them laughed me out the door and others were apologetic but couldn't help. Found a shop on the other side of town who I knew of...most expensive place around...but excellent service and quality. They were able to match it perfectly and that's who I paid to paint my truck. It came out great. I've had a few insurance jobs at work in the past and I've always used that shop to match the paint. Never had a problem with them. They closed up and then the insurance companies wanted more stuff fixed; and on top of that, the insurance companies have their "preferred" facilities (which I will not personally use for a few reasons). Couple times they "matched" the color, and then found out that it had to go back because in the sun light it was different. Or in the dark it was different. In the end, it was cheaper to replace it with OEM than pay for 2 or 3 "re-do's". But insurance companies are about like our government. Spend twice as much to fix it 3 or 4 times than it would have taken to do it right once-but that is another rant for another day. Sorry for rambling.

·
Registered
8 Posts

My kawasaki dealer highly recommends colorite. They are supposedly the only one out there that have exact mix codes for kawasaki. I know on my 03 vulcan 1600 I took it to the best paint store around in my sate for a fender repaint match up and it looks ok but in the sun it does not match.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Color-rite is the official supplier for Yamaha-and possibly Kawasaki's-paints. Dealers tend to recommend color-rite for that reason.

I have used color-rite. It is THIN. If a job would normally require a quart, buy 3. Thats exactly why I went to the body shop.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts