Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:confused: I am still looking for a good non-studded drivers backrest for my 2005 Kawasaka 2000. I want something that looks good and hides the hardware as best it can.Also trying to get some good looking passenger floorboards for my bike.I guess I am too particular:| ,haha. Any suggertions??? I have looked at Mustany,Utopia and Bakup,but did not like any to these.Please send me your suggestions if possible.Thanks:shock:

·
Hoof Hearted?
717 Posts
Here's my choice:

Comfortable, spacious, well made and flexible. Holds a FF helmet, moves to the luggage rack when needed for a pillion, leather blends nicely with the bike and...oh...did I mention it was comfortable? I still have the stock seat and find it just fine on long runs with the back support.

It's not everyone's cup of tea but it sure is practical and comfortable.

·
07 900 Classic
586 Posts
Try a motorcycle back buddy, $49 and it works great.Just google the name and it should take you to the web site and I saw them for sale at every rally last year. Pappie

·
Long live the V2K!
593 Posts
I just added the Grasshopper backrest to my bike and so far I like it. I had reservations about ordering it because I have a Mustang seat and their website says it works with stock seats. Well, another member here on the forum installed one on his bike with the Mustang and it work out just fine so I went for it. All the mounting hardware is under the seat so when the backrest is removed, you wouldn't even know it was there. You do need to buy longer bolts as the stock bolts holding the pax seat mount are too short. Took 5 minutes to install.

The backrest pad itself has a piece of flat steel mounted on it bent at an angle. All you do is push the flat blade of steel between the driver and passenger seat into the hidden bracket and it's installed. It does push me forward in the seat a little bit but nothing substantial. When I get home off this trip I'll try and post a pic. The guy does have studded and non-studded versions available. I did enquire about getting just the pad to install on my passenger backrest so that I'll have matching pads and he said no problem- $50. Just might do that! Oh, and the price was $120 with shipping.

Here's a link to his website:
Custom quick release motorcycle drivers backrests by Grasshopper Limited

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had to get a longer bolt as well. Just an FYI I also had to add a spacer under the seats(passenger and driver) to gain a fraction of an inch. The backrest was fitting a little too tight for my liking. I asked Lonnie @ Grasshopper about it and he said that every once in a while that happens. It was no big deal, it took 15 minutes instead of five to install it. Five minutes of that was figuring it out;-)

·
Registered
362 Posts
I just added the Grasshopper backrest to my bike and so far I like it. I had reservations about ordering it because I have a Mustang seat and their website says it works with stock seats. Well, another member here on the forum installed one on his bike with the Mustang and it work out just fine so I went for it. All the mounting hardware is under the seat so when the backrest is removed, you wouldn't even know it was there. You do need to buy longer bolts as the stock bolts holding the pax seat mount are too short. Took 5 minutes to install.

The backrest pad itself has a piece of flat steel mounted on it bent at an angle. All you do is push the flat blade of steel between the driver and passenger seat into the hidden bracket and it's installed. It does push me forward in the seat a little bit but nothing substantial. When I get home off this trip I'll try and post a pic. The guy does have studded and non-studded versions available. I did enquire about getting just the pad to install on my passenger backrest so that I'll have matching pads and he said no problem- $50. Just might do that! Oh, and the price was $120 with shipping.

Here's a link to his website:
Custom quick release motorcycle drivers backrests by Grasshopper Limited
Hi,I am the person that said the backrest will work with a Mustang seat.If it pushes you too much forward,here is the fix.Cut 1/2" off the end of the flat bar that holds the pad.Then with a large hammer,bend the sharp bend ,out of the flat bar..This allows the flatbar to go in the mount a little deeper,and gives you more room.Do this with the rear seat off,so you can see the problem.It is a very easy fix,and well worth the time.

·
Long live the V2K!
593 Posts
Hi,I am the person that said the backrest will work with a Mustang seat.If it pushes you too much forward,here is the fix.Cut 1/2" off the end of the flat bar that holds the pad.Then with a large hammer,bend the sharp bend ,out of the flat bar..This allows the flatbar to go in the mount a little deeper,and gives you more room.Do this with the rear seat off,so you can see the problem.It is a very easy fix,and well worth the time.
Tynker,

I couldn't remember who it was that said the Grasshopper backrest would work with the Mustang seat. My opologies! It was your post that led me to go ahead and order the backrest. Thanks for speaking up and thanks for the tip about modifying the backrest. Trying to do an Iron Butt ride on Monday and I should be able to tell after that if I want to move the backrest back any. At this point it feels pretty good so I'm going to leave it the way it is for now. Nice to know though that I can do something about it.

I did email Lonnie beforehand about compatibility with Mustang seats and he didn't think it would work or let's say he wouldn't commit one way or the other. Based on your experience I went ahead and ordered it. I did email Lonnie back and told him for future reference that it does work just fine with a Mustang seat (on a V2K at least) so hopefully he'll at least state that on his website. Doing so could only increase his order backlog I would think!

·
Long live the V2K!
593 Posts
One other thing for those considering a backrest and have a heated jacket. I noticed recently that since I installed my backrest, when I wear my heated jacket the backrest presses the jacket nice and tight against your lower back and it felt like I had a heating pad back there! Man did it feel good! I could feel the heat all over from the jacket but since it was pressed against my lower back from the back rest, the heat was more intense against that area. Feels pretty good for those of us with back problems. Just thought I'd mention this side benefit if you are considering a rider's backrest and have a heated jacket!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for your help...I liked the backrest....Pat:tongue:

·
Long live the V2K!
593 Posts
Thanks for the reply.Good luck on the Iron Butt!!!!!!!!
Thanks! I'm pretty excited to get going on it. Going with Utah Motorcyclist and another guy. Weather is looking just a little questionable so we might have to postpone. Hopefully the weather gods will be on our side!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts