Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I have passed the MSF course!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

My eyes were set on the '08 ninja 250. However, after MSF, I still need to practice before attempting to ride in rush hour traffice and on expressways.

Therefore, I'm now looking at trying to get a good condition used motorcycle.
Considering that I'm still unemployed, price is a major factor.

I rode an Eliminator 125 during the MSF course and now love this bike. I still want the ninja. It will be my goal for a second bike later in 2008. I'm thinking postive.

My questions:
1. Has anyone ridden or owned an Eliminator (125)?
2. What should I look for (and avoid) in a used motorcycle?
3. Has anyone ever purchased a motorcycle off of e-bay or craigslist?
4. 15,000 is considered about average for driven miles in a car, does the motorcycle industry have an average to go by for used motorcycles considering obvious factors?

Thanks to all

·
Registered
789 Posts
I'd really look for something a little larger 250cc at least. I took my MSF at Harley we trained on Buell Blast's 497cc's they weighed about 400 lbs. nice bikes but I felt cramped I'm 6'1" with 34 inseam. If cash is a problem just remember you generally get what you pay for. You might look at hondas there seems to be quite a few of them around in smaller cc models. Funny thing about motorcycles is mileage many I feel buy them on a whim and without proper training or with just the MSF course which does not involve actual street driving and never get past a few rides around the neighborhood. I'm up near Chicago and there are many bikes for sale 2-3 years old with less than a thousand miles on them. I took the last class of the season first week of Nov. the shop owner was telling us about a couple that had taken an early spring class completed it and brought new Harleys they were in the previous weekend inquired about winter storage and said they only had put 200 mi on their bikes in like 6mos.They didn't know where to ride? He told them that some of the staff were going for a day cruise that Monday be at the shop at 10AM if they wanted to join. They wound up doubling their mileage in one day. What I'm trying to say is mileage varies up here the average is 2000-3000 a season but it could be 10,000-12,000 for some and 1,000-1,500 for many my neighbor puts about 2000 on his honda. I have another whose Harley hasn't been out of the garage for three years.
I think I ran across a thread about buying used bikes and a few things to look for

·
Own The Day
2,809 Posts
Just a thought, Deacon, but with the sales of the '08 version now taking off, there's major deals to be had for the 07' 250s, both used and brand new.

Again, just a thought. Personally, I'd still go with the '08 purely for the WOW factor. 8)

Have you considered a used Vulcan 500? That's the bike I really learned on, and it was an awesome machine. Plenty of power with it's Ninja-based engine, great comfort, and excellent handling manners. Just my two cents. ;)

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Zeropunch, Slo'poke

Thanks for the comments. I'm 5'6'', about 115 pounds, with inseam of about 30.5 inches. In my dreams:biggrin: , I thought about riding a 600cc sportsbike but thought price and bike weight were out of my league.

I only had eyes for the Ninja 250 and no other class until riding the Eliminator 125 and was impressed with the little cruiser. Although I like the look of some Harleys.

Since I'm small and if I rode a lot, my small muscles would get used to handling a 300 Ib bike give or take 30 pounds of bike weight.

I do want the '08 Ninja 250 because the WOW factor. The plastic surgery that Kawi finally made to the Ninja 250 was one of the factors that made me want to take the MSF again after a decade and a half.

I want to go cheap if possible but get a good bike while I improve my riding skills. then, I will go for the Ninja 250. I dont want to be like the 16 yr old trying to ride a Honda CBR without no real motorcycle riding experience.

I saw where a 2001 Eliminator 125 sold on Ebay yesterday for $810.00.
The bike supposedly from the images had 360+ miles on it.

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
My .02 . Buy an older 250 you can afford for your first season or two. If it get dinged or scratched no real big deal. We like to keep new bikes new looking as long as possible. At this point especially you should be more concerned with honing your skills than worrying about the bike.

·
Registered
237 Posts
My 2 cents is easy, depends where you wanna ride, the eliminator wont be good at all for freeway riding, and in my own opinion, bad for roads 45 mph+. I live in Florida and to get to work US 19 is a must for me, no ifs ands or buts about that. So that would be out of my ideals, and im looking for a 250 ninja on craigs list, that is just a listing site, like cycletrader and such.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If winter in the south is warm for the next 3 to 5 months, then I would take every opportunity to practice on a parking lot.

Plus, in my neighborhood, the main street curves so much that I could practice counter-weight steering and braking at the stop light where one of the curves is near. I know it sounds stupid/ambitious; but, a vacant parking lot is on my mind right now.

My apartment manager has said it was okay to park in the garage as long as i don't take the (limited) space that is assigned to the renters who have 2 or 3 bedroom apartments. I can also see myself practicing in the tight garag when all the cars are gone.

I would have to rent a P/U truck to get the bike to my apartment. After purchase, i will have to put a bike on the street to get to a parking lot to practice. No Pickup. No trailer. So, I'm planning!!!

·
Registered
231 Posts
You should take a look at either the EX 500 Ninja or EN 500 Vulcan. They are both good bikes that you can grow with. Not big or not to small. A verry good starter bike and a good price.

·
IBA#34418
6,332 Posts
If winter in the south is warm for the next 3 to 5 months, then I would take every opportunity to practice on a parking lot.

Plus, in my neighborhood, the main street curves so much that I could practice counter-weight steering and braking at the stop light where one of the curves is near. I know it sounds stupid/ambitious; but, a vacant parking lot is on my mind right now.

My apartment manager has said it was okay to park in the garage as long as i don't take the (limited) space that is assigned to the renters who have 2 or 3 bedroom apartments. I can also see myself practicing in the tight garag when all the cars are gone.

I would have to rent a P/U truck to get the bike to my apartment. After purchase, i will have to put a bike on the street to get to a parking lot to practice. No Pickup. No trailer. So, I'm planning!!!

If you bought from a dealership they might even ride it home for ya. I agree with most here, find a good used bike for the first year or two. A lot less stress if you were to drop it. Most all of us have dropped our bikes at one time or another and its more likely to happen when we are new riders. That said sometimes it happens to us with years and years of riding under our belts...LOL

·
98' 1500 Classic
978 Posts
1 No never driven an Eliminator 125
2 Look at who the owner is, the "little ol' lady that only drove it to church" got started for a reason. look for the overall condition of the bike, all the lines, tires, oil leaks, shocks, chain, nicks dings ets. ride it, shift it, maint history.
3 yes, got a used 04 HD XL1200C off Cragislist this year. its where I'd start if I were you.
4 for an Elim 125, I would not get one with 15000 mi. I'd shoot for a bike with 3k or less. but thats me.

IMO, you will outgrow a 125 in about a......week, maybe less.
First define what kind of riding you want to do, not just your basic commute, but how do you want to ride it. Choose a bike that fits that profile. Figure out how to pay for it, buy it and then TRAIN your self.

·
Patriot Guard Rider
562 Posts
Now that I have passed the MSF course!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

My eyes were set on the '08 ninja 250. However, after MSF, I still need to practice before attempting to ride in rush hour traffice and on expressways.

Therefore, I'm now looking at trying to get a good condition used motorcycle.
Considering that I'm still unemployed, price is a major factor.

I rode an Eliminator 125 during the MSF course and now love this bike. I still want the ninja. It will be my goal for a second bike later in 2008. I'm thinking postive.

My questions:
1. Has anyone ridden or owned an Eliminator (125)?
2. What should I look for (and avoid) in a used motorcycle?
3. Has anyone ever purchased a motorcycle off of e-bay or craigslist?
4. 15,000 is considered about average for driven miles in a car, does the motorcycle industry have an average to go by for used motorcycles considering obvious factors?

Thanks to all
Congrats on passing your course....

1 - Never rode or owned a Eliminator 125 or anything that small, Im 315lbs and I suspect it would have the acceleration of a moped with me on it. I think 250s and such are great starter bikes for small people but it wouldnt work for me. The bike is to small physically and power wise. I think you would be better off with something around 500cc if your an average adult male.

2 - Look for the usual signs of abuse. There are ALOT of low mileage used cycles out there....quite a few people buy them and never get around to riding like they want. No reason to get in a hurry and buy the first thing you come across.

3 - I bought my second bike off Ebay, based of the pictures and the sellers description. Turned out well. They only thing not disclosed was a defective clutch lever switch, which I dont think the seller even knew about. Cost me $9 to replace. I drove 20 hours round trip to get it in Michigan. I would do it again.

Cost me $2400 for this 2001 Yamaha V Star Classic - had 5200 miles on it. This is the kind of low mileage bike I mentioned in #2.

Since I bought it cheap enough I had a little money to play with and changed a few things around. I have less than $3K in it how it sets, less than half of what my cousin has in his bone stock 883 Sportster.

4 - Ive never heard of an average really.....most motorcycles can run 100K easy with regular service before needing any major work. Like I said in #2 - there are LOTS of low mileage bikes out there.....no real reason to grab one with high miles. There are ALOT of bike owners......but not that many real riders. Some will put only 2K miles on a bike a year......while some of us do that in a month.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I went straight from the class to an '07 Ninja 250. The throttle took a little getting used to but overall the bike was easier to handle and keep upright than those eliminators. If you eventually want to go with the '08, get an older 250, they seem to hold their value well. The bike is very manageable and VERY forgiving. It won't wheelie or do anything crazy on you, it is a tame bike, it has a positive neutral finder and is very smooth. You can keep it longer too b/c you can go on highways with it while you are still learning. I don't think the Eliminators can break 50mph.

Also a plus is the Ninja 250 has a built in centerstand so you can park it upright and it will take up less room in that garage.

I bought mine from my local Craigslist. I think there are one or two 250s recently listed in the For Sale section of this site. Here is a link to 250 pricing for your reference - Ninja 250 Value Calculator

Honestly you can probably go straight to the 2008 250 if that is what you want. I sat on one at the Int'l motorcycle show and it felt lighter than my '07 (it's actually heavier but they must balance it well).

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the comments all. A few more things to (re)consider.

I posted a thread in the Cruiser section but will mention here as well.

I spoke to a lady a few hours ago about a '02 Eliminator 125 w/ 208 miles on it that she is looking to sale for $1,000. It was purchased for her 15 yr old daughter (back then). 15 yr old burnt leg on pipe and eventually got a car. eliminator supposedly had only been riden around block to keep battery alive.

Haven't seen it yet!! Since unemployed, I can't buy new and foresee mechanical issues with primary cage that may cost money.

At first, I was thinking/looking/praying for eliminator under $1000, used with low miles, street legal, didn't weigh a lot, and (thinking positive here) owning 1 (eliminator) cruiser and then 1 (08 ninja 250) sportsbike later.

In last 6 days, I have seen between 3 & 5 eliminators that had most of the things mentioned in preceeding paragraph.

I guess i want variety now in lieu of possibly owning 2 ninja 250s down the road. No pun intended.

·
Patriot Guard Rider
562 Posts
What are you trying to gain by purchasing the Eliminator vs any other bike?

There are alot of bikes out there for cheap.....and quite a few of them will keep you from getting ran over on the highway.

I guess I dont see the point in the Eliminator unless your an elf that doesnt want to leave the confines of the city street.

You mentioned you need practice before getting out on the expressway and in rush hour traffic.....practice is good....but when you finally do feel confident enough you dont have enough bike to get out there.

That Eliminator is a great starter town bike.....but if it wont run atleast 75 mph its going to do FAR more harm then good when you take it out on the highway.....you need to have enough power to move around. The Eliminator just doesnt have it.

There are bikes out there that DO have the power and arent any more money.

I guess I dont see why the hangup on the Eliminator.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Have you thought about the Honda Rebel? It is very similar in size (weight/height, etc) to the Kawasaki Eliminator but it is 250cc. They use those in the MSF courses as well and you could probably get one cheap.

·
Vintage bike addict
4,812 Posts
I started street riding on a 175. It was maxed out to keep up with traffic. Get something just a little bigger.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Feedback!! Tis good.

For years, i have seen/read info and opinions about the ninja 250 to know that its a bike that I want.

The eliminator I had no prior knowledge about except for what kawi has on there site and two days of riding it. Rookie here!

CycleWorld only had specs but no review. Owner/Rider feedback like car owners says a lot about a product.

In hindsight, i should have mentioned that i want to do long commutes after improving riding skills as well as practice. My cage could become secondary means of transport.

I was thinking (hoping) that I would be able to afford an 08 ninja 250 later in in 2008 after 3 to 6 months or more of riding (hopefully w/o snow or ice during winter months). My body would have adjusted to the weight of a motorcycle and so forth.

But, more importantly, I needed feedback on eliminator. I wasn't satisfied with the lack of info out there. From the sound of it, I threw gas on an open flame. :shock: :LOL::lol: :eek:

Again Thanks.

I'm feeling antsy about riding and want to buy something cheap.
However, I would want to keep it long-term and for things i mentioned above and before.

As the G & R song line went "I just need a little Patience - YEEEAAAHHH.":cry: :cry: :cry:

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Maybe there is a reason nobody here has owned one. . . It may be possible that MSF is the only one who buys them. You should consider the Honda Rebel though b/c it is close to what you are looking for without being as underpowered. Then save up for your Ninja!

Here are some Eliminator reviews though, if you really are set on it - Kawasaki 125 Eliminator Review in 125s at Review Centre

1 - 20 of 24 Posts