Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First Post - Looking for clutch setting advice.. 1976 KZ900

This is my first Post

I have a 1976 fully restored KZ900 A that is customized slightly to look like the traditional sport trim of the early Z's.

Extras:
Vance Hines 4-2-1
Handlebars and grips
Chrome Engine Covers
Chrome case saver
Restored Seat

Still to come (in other words saving up for!):
Upgrade to the ignition system
Mikuni VM 34's

I am performing some cosmetic upgrades to my '76 Kaw . Had no problem removing and and re-installing the stator in the Crank cover, however removing and now re-installing the sprocket cover knocked my clutch setting out of whack and I can only get 1st gear and Neutral. I was told this is a fairly simple re-adjustment to correct for the problem however I can't seem to find the details I need from my shop manual.

Any one out there familiar? thanks

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
FYI: clutch setting advice.. 1976 KZ900

Hey Group,

I got this from a old Kaw Jedi so I thought I would share the info...

"With the sprocket cover mounted, loosen the clutch cable adjuster at the lever to allow for maximum slack in the cable.

Access the clutch aduster under the oval clutch adjuster cover.

Loosen the locknut - then while retaining the nut, back off the slotted adjusmtent screw until it turns freely - then turn it in until it just meets resistance (from touching the pushrod)
- then back it off 1/2 turn - retain its position while tightening the locknut.

Then re-adjust the cable freeplay at the lever."

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"... you CAN'T access any other gears than neutral and first at a standstill"

Thanks elr658 for that... I could not remember for the life of me whether the condition was such in regards to Neutral/First when not running. My gasket seal will have cured 24 hour by 2:00 PM this afternoon and I will be firing her up then and hopefully shifting with mad abandon, lol.

Thank you for the feedback and it is great to meet another Kaw Jedi master!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I believe that they are... I am going to have a little shop work done on those next winter to spiff 'em up a bit too!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for that - I had heard those 29mm smooth bores were also quite nice also!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts