Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched these forums, but can't find info on where to get (free if possible, but will pay if necessary) an owner's manual, and/or service manual for an '04 EX500. I am not a mechanic. I just need basic info to maintain the essentials (battery, fluids, tire pressures, air filter, service intervals, etc)

The Clymer manual seems to stop at '02, though this bike seems to have changed little over the years, so '02 may be ok.

The Kawasaki service manual and supplement together cost around $85 + S&H, which is steep.

On-line, I found this for $25 + S&H:
Haynes Kawasaki EX500, Ninja 500 & ER500 1987-2005 Repair Manual

Don't know if Haynes is good. Anyone have experience with Haynes?

Better yet, does anyone know where I can get a PDF of Kawi owner's manual, or a service manual?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have searched these forums, but can't find info on where to get (free if possible, but will pay if necessary) an owner's manual, and/or service manual for an '04 EX500. I am not a mechanic. I just need basic info to maintain the essentials (battery, fluids, tire pressures, air filter, service intervals, etc)

The Clymer manual seems to stop at '02, though this bike seems to have changed little over the years, so '02 may be ok.

The Kawasaki service manual and supplement together cost around $85 + S&H, which is steep.

Better yet, does anyone know where I can get a PDF of Kawi owner's manual, or a service manual?
Don't know about their bike manuals but I have a had a Haynes manual for almost every car I have owned and there wasn't anything you couldn't do with one of those. If your looking for basic maintenance it will be overkill but given the price difference between Haynes and the name brand you might be better off with the Haynes.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ask around here DIY 500 Forum

I am almost positive someone on this board had one in PDF format.

Tim
I registered on DIY planning to post the question, but I noticed that there are no new posts. Is the DIY forum dead?

Re: the Haynes repair manual - I would like a manual that specifies correct fuses, replacement lamps, correct fluids, as well as includes service intervals for brake fluid, coolant, oil, etc. I know Haynes or Clymer will illustrate how to do the service, but do they also include the info in the OEM Kawasaki owner's manual?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I registered on DIY planning to post the question, but I noticed that there are no new posts. Is the DIY forum dead?

Re: the Haynes repair manual - I would like a manual that specifies correct fuses, replacement lamps, correct fluids, as well as includes service intervals for brake fluid, coolant, oil, etc. I know Haynes or Clymer will illustrate how to do the service, but do they also include the info in the OEM Kawasaki owner's manual?
Can't say about there bike manuals never had one but my car manuals have Fluid types, capacities, maintenance scheduals electrical diagrams etc. The only thing i don't think it has is replacement bulbs(may have overlooked it) but you get those with the part numbers of the old ones. The owners manual has most of what you need for the basics but will just suggest taking it to a dealer to be serviced for anything involving more then 3 screws. I would get the haynes.

·
The Cruising Gunsmith
1,459 Posts

Yes, I have many hanes manuals: they are pretty good general purpose manuals. But, the Kawi factory manual is infinitely better and worth the extra money if you ever have to fix your bike.

BTW, $85 is still cheap for factory books. I bought a set of factory manuals for my Chevy cavalier and it was more like $250.

·
The Cruising Gunsmith
1,459 Posts
Not a lawyer, but I believe posting that would be a copyright violation. Kawi sells them to make money and they can't do that if they are posted for free.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Not a lawyer, but I believe posting that would be a copyright violation. Kawi sells them to make money and they can't do that if they are posted for free.
No doubt you're right about that with respect to the service manuals. All I really want is the owner's manual, which is not a product produced and sold for profit. It would be nice if the manufacturers would supply replacement owners manuals for a reasonable charge.

I guess it's off to ebay.

·
Spinach Eating Moderator
22,962 Posts
Even though it's not sold for profit, MaKaw still holds the copyrights to the Owners Manual. Distribution without authorization would still be a violation, and cannot be allowed here since BTK is an Authorized Kawasaki Dealer.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts