Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Doc, I need a road trip!
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I scheduled a July vacation today to go and see my sister in Gilbert SC. I will be taking my 1500 and going solo. The distance from my house to hers is app. 1,800 miles each way. I have decided to make the trip in 3 days down, and 3 days back. My question is, this will be the longest trip so far for me, and for those that have made simular mileage trips on their bikes do you think that 600 miles each day is pushing it too far, or fairly do-able.
My wife is concerned that 600 miles per day, 3 days in a row is way too much, and maybe she's right. Any help or suggestions will be welcome. TIA

·
Registered
995 Posts
First things first, are you young or old, is the bike comfy or not? I'm no youngster and I have a very comfy bike and I try to limit the days to 500 miles (about 10-12 hours counting breaks etc.). If you start to get fatigued you can get in trouble real easy. If you've got the time make it 4 days each way (it's the way I'm going to do 1600 in June).

·
Registered
230 Posts
What are you accustomed to ? How long in miles and hours do you typically ride in a day ? As Duffy says, how old are you ?

The odds are pretty good that if you have to ask if 600 miles per day for 3 days is too much for you, the answer is probably "yes".

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
How many days between the trip back? I did 1500 in 2 days on my 900 last summer. When I was done I didn't want to look at my bike for the next few days. Physically I wasn't tired could have rode further but mentally I was pretty drained. 2000 miles over the course of 7 days is pretty easy for me. But, I'm a lot younger than you Greg. (26)

·
My hat is made of tinfoil
20,826 Posts
Have you ever done even a single 600 mile day?

And if so how did you feel the next day, up to another 600 ?

If the answer is no to my first question maybe ride somewhere about 300 miles away and have lunch, and ride home.

See how you feel the day after, that might answer it at least somewhat for you.

For me it depends on the weather, the roads, and the bike I am on.

Sometimes 600 miles a day feels brutal, and other times 600 miles a day feels fairly easy.

·
V2K Classic
242 Posts

If the answer is no to my first question maybe ride somewhere about 300 miles away and have lunch, and ride home.

Sometimes 600 miles a day feels brutal, and other times 600 miles a day feels fairly easy.
Excellent advice Northernman

·
Strat Man ... ok, PRS too
582 Posts
The roads mean the most in my opinion. As stated, there are easy 600 mile days and tougher ones. Interstate, 2 lane with small towns every 20 miles, 2 lane with big towns every 10 miles .....

Stay open to change. Better off showing up at 1PM of day 4 than totally wiped out at 9PM of day 3. Same with the ride home. Every cross country trip I've done has been solo. Your head will be the main limiter - and weather.

Either way, have fun.

·
IBA#34418
6,332 Posts
Northernman gave some great advice. I would also recommend some practice runs as others have suggested. I know on my first big trip I did too much too fast and got too tired.

I think though if its all interstate it would be easier than all 2 lane roads to do 600 miles in a day.

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
I prefer not to run 600 mile days at all, if I have a choice. Rushing on a motorbike seems to take all the enjoyment out of the experiance, IMO.
I try to schedule my riding days for no more than 300 miles, and will only throw a 400+ mile day in if it is absolutely necassary. I prefer to keep the riding days short, and then still have the energy to enjoy the different destinations and stops along the way.

I've had 300 mile rides turn into 12 hour ordeals due to sudden weather changes, so if you are considering extended mileage days make sure to have a contingency plan just in case.

If it were me, I'd add a day to each journey, slow down a little, and smell the roses.

·
Thanks to all Veterans!!!
16,933 Posts
If you don't have a pressing need to be there in 3 days, I agree with others here that you probably will want to add a day to each direction. It is definitely more enjoyable when you don't feel rushed. That way you can stop to look at something you see on the way that you didn't expect to see instead of having to blow by it and miss it. I typically travel with my wife, but we try to keep our days around 400 miles so that we can enjoy the evenings and look around the area we are staying in before we go to bed that night.

Of course, if you're pressed to get there in 3 days, then perhaps you should cage it and get there quicker yet. (I can't believe I just said that. :eek:)

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
It will all come down to how comfortable you are and how many stops you need to make for a 600 mile day. I have done a 600+ mile day. And I could do it again, but its not something I would want to do on a regular basis. 6 days of it and you are gonna be whipped. How many days in between the travel days?

·
Elmer
281 Posts
Everyone has their own style but I think most of us are agreed that keeping planned miles just under 500 per day makes for a comfortable trip. I love the long daylight hours of sumer for extended distance but ... weather conditions, traffic, and roads traveled are all considerations that cannot always be anticipated. Put a couple extra days in your planning for the round trip and enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
217 Posts
It is a matter of comfort. How long did you ride this bike so far in one day. What saddle do you have: stock or modified or after market?

I did 2000 miles in 2.5 days from Montreal to Fort Lauderdale, stayed there 3 days and back up in 2.5 days. I had redone my saddle before cause i had the mokey a.. syndrome after 6 hrs with the stock one.

You will need highway pegs too to strech, and make sure you glasses are comfy and not putting any pressure on the side of your head or ears. On the long run it makes a big dif. If you never did long range riding, bring tools to reset your handle bar height to get handles at shoulder level if you get shoulder pain after a while.

Riding speed was between 80 and 95 mph. Average speed including gas stops, lunch stops, smoke stops and washroom stops, traffic in rush hours was about 65 mph.

·
Doc, I need a road trip!
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
First things first, are you young or old, is the bike comfy or not? I'm no youngster and I have a very comfy bike and I try to limit the days to 500 miles (about 10-12 hours counting breaks etc.). If you start to get fatigued you can get in trouble real easy. If you've got the time make it 4 days each way (it's the way I'm going to do 1600 in June).
59yo this March
comfy, Mustang seats, hiway bars with pegs, etc. (n/p there)
I agree on 4 days instead of 3

·
Doc, I need a road trip!
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What are you accustomed to ? How long in miles and hours do you typically ride in a day ? As Duffy says, how old are you ?

The odds are pretty good that if you have to ask if 600 miles per day for 3 days is too much for you, the answer is probably "yes".
Last year I did over 700 in a weekend with n/p, I'm use to three to four hundred in a day, but never 1800 in 3 days!
again 59 yo
I'm starting to think that it might be more than I want to do and still have any time to see the sights, take pics, etc..

·
Test Pilot
2,916 Posts
GregND~ I think you've been given some pretty good advice, and I think you should listen to your wife. I think you and I are about the same age, and riding 600 miles for 3 straight days one way, would really bother me I think. The longest I've done is a day is 480 miles, and man was I glad to get there. Now I wish I would have done it in two days, because as someone already mentinoned, it's the ride that counts....not the destination. If I'm not mistaken, I think you may have ape bars as well, don't know how long you can ride with your arms up like that, without taking more breaks than a rider with normal bars. I agree that if you have the time, do the trip in smaller steps, and be safe, and do the same on your trip home.
Have a great trip bud, and I hope you find it to be a great experience.

EDIT: GLAD YOU DECIDED TO DO IT IN 4 DAYS GREG.

·
Doc, I need a road trip!
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
How many days between the trip back? I did 1500 in 2 days on my 900 last summer. When I was done I didn't want to look at my bike for the next few days. Physically I wasn't tired could have rode further but mentally I was pretty drained. 2000 miles over the course of 7 days is pretty easy for me. But, I'm a lot younger than you Greg. (26)
Hey IB!
Yeah, beings I'm 59 now it would deffinately be harder than when I was young, especially if I run into crappy weather and have to make up alot of hours. Sure, I could do it with 4 days each way easily, that would only be 450 miles per day, but I hate to burn up 8 days of just traveling without having anytime to enjoy myself in the 9 states I would be going through.
Thanks IB....

·
Doc, I need a road trip!
1,398 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

No, never 600 a day, but 400 plus before at times.
That was deffinately good advice, sometime I will give that a try. Thanks
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I will get back to all of you tomorrow, but it's late, and work comes early.
Thanks all!

·
Registered
219 Posts
I scheduled a July vacation today to go and see my sister in Gilbert SC. I will be taking my 1500 and going solo. The distance from my house to hers is app. 1,800 miles each way. I have decided to make the trip in 3 days down, and 3 days back. My question is, this will be the longest trip so far for me, and for those that have made simular mileage trips on their bikes do you think that 600 miles each day is pushing it too far, or fairly do-able.
My wife is concerned that 600 miles per day, 3 days in a row is way too much, and maybe she's right. Any help or suggestions will be welcome. TIA
Greg,
I have an '06 1500, set up for the freeway. I can do 480 to 500 miles comfortably. I wouldn't plan on doing more than 500. And I'd plan on doing less on days 2 and 3. 600 miles a day for several days is a lot of miles on cruiser. More than I'd take on.

I'm planning a trip to Colorado this summer (from Mass.) and 450 miles will be my limit per day. I have found that 450 miles is the most I can do and still look forward the next morning to getting back on the road. But everyone's different... As someone else suggested, do a test run. Good luck.

windman

1 - 20 of 41 Posts