Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I wanted some knowledgeable input before plunking down my hard earned cash on a bike. This will be my first bike other than owning trail bikes as a teenager. I'm 22 year old college student at OU and I'm looking for something to take weekend cruises on and possibly drive to class. It probably won't be any everyday driver. I'm looking at spending around 3K. What year(s) should I look for in a Vulcan?

Here's one I found on cycletrader:
http://adcache.cycletrader.com/5/9/6/77816696.htm

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Valsport said:
Hey guys, I wanted some knowledgeable input before plunking down my hard earned cash on a bike. This will be my first bike other than owning trail bikes as a teenager. I'm 22 year old college student at OU and I'm looking for something to take weekend cruises on and possibly drive to class. It probably won't be any everyday driver. I'm looking at spending around 3K. What year(s) should I look for in a Vulcan?

Here's one I found on cycletrader:
http://adcache.cycletrader.com/5/9/6/77816696.htm
First welcome Valsport. The 800's are bulletproof an there a good bike for what your plans are. Go buy it an come back with some better pics. You'll like it I know. The milage is low, these 800's are good for at least 60,000 mi. with out much problem.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the welcome, I'm usually the one doing the welcoming over at chevytruckworld.com (I'm pretty big into trucks). Are there chassis or front end differences between the 750 and 800?

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
Welcome Valsport!

Woody has you covered. :)

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
Valsport said:
Thanks for the welcome, I'm usually the one doing the welcoming over at chevytruckworld.com (I'm pretty big into trucks). Are there chassis or front end differences between the 750 and 800?
Don't know much about the 750 . It has dual brakes up front and it's shaft driven. It's been around for about 20 yrs.It's got a stator issue tend to go out about 20,000 mis. an its a complete teardown to fix. Sgt. Mike is a member here an he an his son both bought 750's I think maybe he'll chime in sometime. If not start a new thread an ask I'm sure someone on the forum will know more about the 750 than me.

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
welcome Valsport...I ride the 1500 but was originally looking at the 800. I like both the A & B models, you can't go wrong with 'em

·
Super Moderator
10,874 Posts
Welcome Valsport. I have an 800 Classic- great bike! With the year and the mileage you're looking at, you should buy it. You won't be disappointed. Very good power, relatively lightweight makes it nimble around the Norman sidestreets and it will cruise all day at 75-85 mph on I-40.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I had a 500ltd and LOVED it. It was just a little too small for long road trips.

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
Welcome, Valsport.

I had an 800A before I moved up to my 1500 Classic. I loved my 800. It was a great bike for around town. I found it lacking only on the highway, where it was a bit underpowered for my tastes. But if you aren't going to do a lot of high-speed riding, I think you'd really enjoy the 800. It's light enough to be very manageable around town and handles great on the twisties. Mine got great mileage, too, and I picked it up for $3000. It was a 2001 with only 3000 miles on it and lots of aftermarket accessories.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Welcome Valsport, The bike you are looking at appears to be a pretty good deal. I have one and absolutely love it! There are lots of accessories and performance goodies available for it. I will be moving back to Oklahoma in about 2 weeks. Gooooooooo SOONERS!!!! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Whats everyone's take on the hot start issue? Is it confined to a specific set of manufac. years? Is there a way to re-locate the regulator/rectifier?

·
Registered
199 Posts
Welcome Valsport!!! I don't know much about the 800 myself, but the people who own and ride them speak very highly of them. I think you will enjoy it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
IMO the 800A is the perfect first bike, and an excellent choice for the kind of riding
you describe. Enough power, Great quality.
In buying a used one I would also try to size up the previous owner, Did he / she do the maintenence etc.
Good luck with your shopping

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
welcome to the forum Valsport. sorry i don't have any advice for you, i'll let the 800 riders steer you in the right direction. i'm sure someone will chime in about the hotstart issue. either way, keep us posted and send us some pics when you get your ride.

·
Registered
283 Posts
welcome Valsport!Been an 800 rider for two years and 15,000 miles now and the bike has been great.I've never heard about a hot starting issue.Does anyone know what'sup with that?

·
Registered
524 Posts
First off welcome to the fourm an as far as the hotstart thing never heard of it, I have an 800 A also great bike.The pic is a little fuzzy but the bike sounds like a great deal,if it runs good buy it.

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
oh yeah...and we are all looking for you to be a new Vulcan owner too.

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
vanb said:
welcome Valsport!Been an 800 rider for two years and 15,000 miles now and the bike has been great.I've never heard about a hot starting issue.Does anyone know what'sup with that?
Well I see your in South Dakota , I could use another 800 in Red Lodge , to help ward off the attack of 1500's. What you got planned in the first part of July?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Welcome, welcome Valsport ! My son Slicks bought the same bike you're looking at, and has put 20 plus thousand on it with no problems other than tires. He had a hyper charger, pipes, and tuned before he ever picked it up, then recently regeared it( went up one tooth in the front). I can testify that you won't have any problem with Harleys anywhere, in town, or out on the highway ! As far as the comparison between the 750 and 800, daylight and dark. I think the only thing they share is the name on the tank, literally. I also have never heard of any problem with hot starts, and the stator thing was strictly aimed at the 750, if I understood Woodchuck correctly. The only other thing that I would have to add, is that the 800 is no doubt the best buy in motorcycles right now, in my opinion. Especially as far as "bang (bike) for the buck" ! Ride long, rest, repeat !

·
Registered
242 Posts
Valsport said:
Welcome Valsport. Now you've done it. What's the difference between a Granny Smith apple and a McIntosh apple? The stator issue has to do with the location of the rectifier/regulator (R/R), at the stock location, below the battery box and above the goat's belly(pre-muffler) it gets too hot and fails, R/R generate their own heat through normal operation, this will not cause it to fail but add the heat from the goat's belly and failure is almost a sure bet, when the R/R fails and it's failure is not caught in time the stator can short out, the installation of a voltmeter is highly recommended. To correct this, one either degoats(remove the pre-muffler) with a kit from Scoot Works ($50.00), or do what I did, relocate the R/R to a place where it will "keep it's cool"($3.00) For good info on how to upgrade the 750's electrical system go to Starman's page, http://home1.gte.net/res0ak9f/bike2.htm
Which one is the better bike? Depends who you talk to.The VN750 has been around since 1985, the bike has been upgraded many, many times, but never radically changed, it still has hydraulic valve lifters, no valve adjustment required. The engine is liquid cooled not air cooled, giving it great longevity. Quite a few VN750 owners report having 90,000 + miles on their machines without major repairs. I haven't heard of a 800 getting that kind of mileage, but I'm not suggesting that the 800 is not capable of doing it, it is also liquid cooled. I prefer the shaft drive instead of a chain, quieter, cleaner, easier and less costly to maintain. I like the tubeless tires, I carry as small plug kit and can plug puncture on the road, try to do that with a tube. All in all they are both great bikes, although I must admit that the 800 is sleeker looking than the 750. The 750 does handle better than the 800, it's more nimble on twisties and hills. I don't really like the Interstates, but when I do go on them my 750 cruises at highway speeds (75-80mph) without huffing & puffing and still has plenty of throttle left if I need it. I'm told by other 750 owners that it will do the speedometer, I don't know and dont plan to find out. I really love to ride my Vulcan VN750. I can't wait for the snow to melt and the temps to warm up a tad. I don't think that you'd be disappointed with either of these bikes.

Mike Hebert

1 - 20 of 29 Posts