Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at buying a 1987 concours, but it has 93,000 miles on it. This sounds like a ton of miles for a bike. Any opinions on what I should do would be helpfull. Thanks.

·
TV Guru
11,779 Posts
That's about 4000 miles a year. When you look at it that way, it's not that much.

The key is, has all the regular maintenance been done over the years and are the transmission clutch and other really expensive parts in good working order?

The previous generation Connie was pretty much bulletproof and the big, big fuel tank made it a distance machine. Owners of sport tourers tend not to abuse their bikes, so high mileage is often well treated open road mileage. My brother in law has a 90's era Connie with well over 100K on the ticker. An electrical bug took it out of the game for a season, but this season brought a trip to Nova Scotia and (in previous years) trips to Alaska, Montana and the Dakotas. The thing is, that bike is torn down every season and every part fully cleaned, checked and adjusted as necessary.

If that Connie has been treated even 1/4 that well, 94K is nothing. She'll go another 94K if you treat her well.

The downside? She's gonna be really top heavy and nearly impossible to get up on the center stand without help.

·
The little guy said it.
17,962 Posts
I'm looking at possibly buying a used Connie myself, so this info clears up a lot of things for me. Thanks CT.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts