Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never owned a motorcycle before, but recently moved to California and would love to have one out here. My budget for one isn't so much, so I've been looking for an inexpensive older bike, and have pretty much decided on a KZ750.

So my questions: what should I be looking for? Are there any common problems these bikes have? I'm a pretty competent auto mechanic, and don't mind getting a bike that needs a little work, but is there anything that would be better if I just stayed away from it?

Also, what kind of price range am I looking at? I know that varies a lot based on condition and mileage, but I'm just looking for a general guideline so I know I'm not getting suckered.

Thanks a lot for your answers!

·
This space for rent
687 Posts
KZ750 two cylinder or four cylinder? 76-79 are all twins, 80 could be either, 81 is a four, 82 and 83 could be either.

Another vote for 80-82 KZ750E four cylinder, a sweet bike that's very maneuverable and plenty enough power.

My daily rider is a 79 KZ750 twin, but my project bike is a 80 KZ750E :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
steell- thanks for the info about the engines- I'd seen that there were both twos and fours, but hadn't found which years were which.

I'm just looking for a fun cruising bike- I don't need a lot of power, so I'm sure a twin would be enough when it comes to that, but from what I've seen, the fours aren't exactly overpowering either.

I'd rather stay away from anything too fast- this being my first bike, I'd really like to take it slow, and learn how to ride on a bike that won't tempt me to go too fast too much. And as cheap as it is, if in a few months or a year I decide I'm ready for something a little faster, I don't really expect I'd lose much on the purchase.

And herk- that bike is beautiful. The one's I've been looking at in my price range aren't quite that well kept...

·
This space for rent
687 Posts
An Ad for the 1979 KZ750B showing what a stock one looks like, bet you didn't realize how extrensively modified mine is :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
I had a 72 way back in the day traded a car for it , it had set in the guys garage for 8 years , a good cleaning and tune up it ran great they are very good bikes in my opinion

·
itching to ride
2,233 Posts
A builder I worked for still has his early 70s CB 750 he bought new and said he would never sell it. He rides a Harley now but keeps that bike because it was his first new bike.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I hadn't looked at one of those before- but in general I don't like Honda's styling as much as Kawasaki's. Though they're pretty similar, I think I'd rather have a KZ750. I'll have to keep my eyes open for a CB750, though- for what I'm looking to pay, I can't be too particular.

·
Eddie Lawson is God!
5,683 Posts
My answer to the Z-1 (I've had nine) is the CB1100F. But Honda made 11000 of them. 11000 BLUE ones.

A KZ750 four is a solid bike. Really makes no difference if it's an LTD or E model. as those are from an era when disco bikes still had some functionality. I have an LTD, and TASTE. (And a plasma cutter) don't discount a KZ650, they're good riders too, and as reliable as gravity.
For those who appreciate twins, the KZ750T is okay, and steell is your go to guy on those.

Since I worship at the altar of 1980s AMA Superbike Racing, my taste in machinery is no surprise. A Suzuki GS 1000 and Yamaha FZR750 (again) are on my list.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Did you ever find a KZ750 yet?, Today I bought a 79 KZ750, with 17k miles. It is a very straight forward twin, looks like a breeze to work on. I also have a KZ1100d1 spectre but I wanted a smaller ride as a daily commuter.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts