Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Rok'n'Rol
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have something new happening, since getting the bike back from service a month or so ago.

There is a white powdery sort of residue on the cooling fins of the back cylinder, on the "key" side of the bike.

It wipes away easily, and I am smelling coolant once in a while. I think they probably just topped it off, or overfilled it, and it is the overflow from when the bike is warm.

Has anyone ever seen this before?

·
Actually, EX-CarGuy
596 Posts
Right after I got my bike I noticed similar "stuff" to what you described on the key side of my front cylinder, only is was more of a soft, chalky kind of powder. I would wipe it off and it would come back. I also suspected coolant but after awhile it stopped. Never did know exactly what it was. Haven't seen it in over a year now.

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
Check the small coolant hose clamps up under the tank, between the cylinders. They are most likely the cause, and need to be tightened. It is a very common issue with Vulcan cruisers, and I've had the problem on both of my past Vulcans.

·
Rok'n'Rol
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Check the small coolant hose clamps up under the tank, between the cylinders. They are most likely the cause, and need to be tightened. It is a very common issue with Vulcan cruisers, and I've had the problem on both of my past Vulcans.
What is the easiest way to get to them?

·
'06 V2K, Baby!
2,325 Posts
I hate to tell you this.

Your bike has a drug problem.

You'll have to do a test for sure but most carburated bikes lean toward cocaine while the FI ones tend toward high-grade heroin.

I suggest contacting the Betty Ford clinic (I know they said "Ford" but they do take all makes after they made that exception for Mick Jaguar).

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
What is the easiest way to get to them?
On the Mean Streak, i had to po the rear tank bolt (under the front of the seat) and prop the tank up a bit to reach the hose clamps. On the V2K, I had to remove the tank from the bike to access the area.

I've talked to a few guys who were able to get htier hand and a small wrench in to the area to tighten the clamps...but I couldn't quite do it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts